At Wits' End: "File not found: tm1xl.ocx"

image2x
OLAP Product: TM1, PAX, PAW, SPSS
Version: 2.0.916.10 on RHEL
Excel Version: 2016

At Wits' End: "File not found: tm1xl.ocx"

Post by image2x »

After finally conceding (based on researching prior posts) that the only reliable way to install TM1 Perspectives was to do so with Administrator rights, I had our package people build and install Perspectives with administrator privileges.

Apparently, it’s a known issue that TM1 must register some .dll and .ocx files during installation and these will fail without admin privileges. Before trying Perspectives after it was administratively installed, I was encouraged to see that indeed the following objects were successfully registered:

C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\bin\tm1prc.dll
C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\bin\tm1xl.ocx
C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\bin\TM1RuleEditor.dll
C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\bin\ExcelServiceCom.dll

Unfortunately, the result was the same with a “Run-time error: 53: File not found: tm1xl.ocx” Excel error when launching Perspectives.

See the attached .xls file for more specifics on the registration properties of these files.

The package installed MR1_X32 first and then FP002_X32. I'm running Excel 2007. I've got a week to figure this out before we're supposed to deploy to numerous end users.

Thoughts? Incantations???

Thanks. -- John
Attachments
error.JPG
error.JPG (10.14 KiB) Viewed 19888 times
tm1-registered-components.xls
(19 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
paulsimon
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.5

Re: At Wits' End: "File not found: tm1xl.ocx"

Post by paulsimon »

John

If you are still having problems, come back to me, but from memory I think that the file that you are missing is

tm1dasrv.dll

You need three files registered for the tm1xl.ocx to work (This is the In-Spreadsheet Browser by the way)

tm1dasrv.dll
tm1prc.dll
tm1xl.ocx

To register them, drag when on to regsvr32.exe in C:\Windows\System32.

You need local admin rights on the machine for this.

I am assuming that your machines are locked down so that only your IT Dept have local admin rights. The other alternative would be to ask them to login, uninstall TM1 and re-install it. As you have probably learnt by now, just about any bit of software will need local admin rights before it can be installed, so it is probably best to wait for the IT Dept to package the application properly, and make sure you test it before you sign off the package.

Regards

Paul Simon
image2x

Post by image2x »

Paul --

My install was in fact missing the tm1dasrv.dll binary altogether... I copied over the file from the server which has a functioning perspectives and registered it but got the same error message. Unfortunately, this was all the time I had today to work on this issue. It's still a front-burner problem though and it sounds like you may be on to something. Hopefully tomorrow the package guys will get around to trying an administrative install on a "virgin" laptop that hasn't already been subjected to multiple attempted perspective installations like mine has.

Anyhow, thanks again for your insights.

-- John
image2x

Post by image2x »

Thought I'd share the conclusion to three weeks of investigation...

The tm1xl.ocx error turns out to have been caused by a failure to load ssleay32.dll in the tm1p.xla VB code. There are several dll's that tm1p.xla tries to load before tm1xl.ocx. However, tm1p doesn't complain if any of these precursor dll's fail even though tm1xl.ocx is dependent upon them.

Ssleay32.dll is part of the open source OpenSSH package which Cognos is utilizing. Although this dll was properly installed, it appears to have been in conflict with some highly-privileged (system "owned" backed by a specialized group policy), custom (googling the .exe names returns nada), big brother monitoring package mandated by our IT group. This package also loads it's own ssleay32.dll. The fix was to replace TM1's bin/ssleay32.dll and bin/libeay32.dll with the dll's utilized by the monitoring package.

-- John
jyo
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: TM1 9.5.2
Excel Version: excel 2003

Post by jyo »

Hi not able find any solution for this issue If tried to manually register tm1xl.ocx gettingb attached message

EM We know we are on a Win7 box if we find the following
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)" goto :CHECKW7

REM Recreate the std XP directory if not found
if exist "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM" goto INSTALL
mkdir "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM"
if errorlevel=1 goto ERROR3
goto INSTALL

:INSTALL
REM copy HF6 and mapped worksheet - supress overwrite prompt, create all subdirs, copy sys/hidden as well
echo Installing TM1 version 9.5.2 HF6, please stand by...
xcopy /Y /E /I /H %TEMP%\952_HF6_x86_client\"*.*" "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM\TM1\" > NUL
if errorlevel=1 goto ERROR5
del "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM\TM1\install*.bat"

rem Only register if this is a non-msi install
if exist "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AD063608-666F-4B6F-B66E-204661EE9CB2}" goto SUCCESS
echo.
echo Registering Client Files...
echo.
REM Register Tm1prc.dll
Regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM\TM1\bin\Tm1prc.dll"
if errorlevel=1 goto ERROR4
REM Register Tm1xl.ocx
Regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM\TM1\bin\Tm1xl.ocx"
goto SUCCESS

:CHECKW7
REM Recreate the product directory if not found
if not exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos At IBM" goto INSTALLW7
mkdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos At IBM"
if errorlevel=1 goto ERROR3

:INSTALLW7
REM copy HF6 and mapped worksheet - supress overwrite prompt, create all subdirs, copy sys/hidden as well
echo Installing TM1 version 9.5.2 HF6, please stand by...
xcopy /Y /E /I %TEMP%\952_HF6_x86_client\"*.*" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos At IBM\TM1\" > NUL
if errorlevel=1 goto ERROR5
del "C:\Program Files\Cognos At IBM (x86)\TM1\install*.bat"

rem Only register if this is a non-msi install
if exist "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AD063608-666F-4B6F-B66E-204661EE9CB2}" goto SUCCESS
echo.
echo Registering Client Files.
echo.
REM Register Tm1prc.dll
Regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos At IBM\TM1\bin\Tm1prc.dll"
REM Register Tm1xl.ocx
Regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos At IBM\TM1\bin\Tm1xl.ocx"
goto SUCCESS

:SUCCESS
echo.
echo Installation completed successfully.
echo.
pause
echo.
goto END

:ERROR1
echo.
echo * FAILED TO UNINSTALL PREVIOUS VERSION *
echo.
pause
echo.
goto END

:ERROR2
echo.
echo * FAILED TO REMOVE OLD COGNOS TM1 DIRECTORY *
echo.
pause
echo.
goto END

:ERROR3
echo.
echo * FAILED TO CREATE NEW COGNOS TM1 DIRECTORY *
echo.
pause
echo.
goto END

:ERROR4
echo.
echo * FAILED TO REGISTER CLIENT FILES *
echo.
pause
echo.
goto END

:ERROR5
echo.
echo * FAILED TO INSTALL COGNOS TM1 *
echo.
pause
echo.
goto END

:END
jyo
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: TM1 9.5.2
Excel Version: excel 2003

Post by jyo »

Please find error getting while trying to install 952_hf6_x86_client and error got tried to manually register tm1xl.ocx
Attachments
TM1 error.doc
TM1 errors
(42 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

jyo wrote:Please find error getting while trying to install 952_hf6_x86_client and error got tried to manually register tm1xl.ocx
Are you aware that you don't actually "install" hot fixes? Hot fixes are loose file upgrades. You install the base version for the hot fix, in this case 9.5.2 x86. To install the hot fix all you do is ensure all TM1 components are stopped, copy the extracted contents of the hot fix folder into the bin directory then restart any services that were stopped.
ithomas21
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003

Post by ithomas21 »

Check that you don't have another Visual C++ Redistributable installed. If you have the 2008 version installed it can conflict with the 2005 version
hansens
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007

Post by hansens »

Just as a follow-up and in case anyone else runs into this problem, at our company, we found that this issue was the result of an interaction with Cisco's CUPC (Cisco Unified Personal Communicator) software. From what I understand, when CUPC is installed, it puts hooks into some software packages to work with them. The hook into Excel caused our "Run-time error '53' File not found: tm1xl.ocx" problem. We instructed our I.T. department to uninstall CUPC and then reinstall it opting out of the hook into Excel. This resolved our problem. I can't say if this will work for everyone, but it worked for us.
Rtel
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by Rtel »

Hello, I am getting Tm1.ocx error 53.

I tried registering all the DLLs (tm1xl.ocx, tm1prc.dll,tm1dasrv.dll ) but still getting error. I checked the path of tm1.xla from VBA and its pointing to
C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\bin64

I believe path to tm1p.xla should point to 'C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\bin' folder since my MS Excel is 32 bit. If that's true, how do I change the TM1 perspective to look at 'C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\bin64' folder for Tm1p.xla

Thnx

Rtel
Rtel
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by Rtel »

Correction..

I believe path to tm1p.xla should point to 'C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\bin' folder since my MS Excel is 32 bit. If that's true, how do I change the TM1 perspective to look at 'C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\bin' folder for Tm1p.xla
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

You can point the shortcut to the correct file in the correct folder.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly