Connection options to SAP

cw1194

Connection options to SAP

Post by cw1194 »

Have a perspective client who is currently on SAP R3 (not using BW)...can anyone provide the lowdown on connection options to TM1 for them? Possible solutions?

Regards,
Chris
stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Re: Connection options to SAP

Post by stephen waters »

cw1194 wrote:Have a perspective client who is currently on SAP R3 (not using BW)...can anyone provide the lowdown on connection options to TM1 for them? Possible solutions?

Perspective or prospective? Anyway TI is normal approach for this.
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

The usual approach is to
- ABAP a flat file out of SAP
- ftp the file to a network location accessible to the tm1 server (usually a folder on the tm1 server)
- import the flat file via TI

This can be scheduled and fully automated.

Although it is technically possible to connect directly to the tables in SAP, unlike most vendors SAP do not and will not publish their table structures and take the view that any direct connection, even if read only, contravenes their software licensing agreement.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

I have connected driectly in the past with other tools. Regardless of what SAP think, the main issue is that all the table names are in German. Also sensative information like salary details are held within virtual views and they can't be accessed easily via ODBC,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:I have connected driectly in the past with other tools. Regardless of what SAP think, the main issue is that all the table names are in German.
And when you generate an Excel report, the module names come out in German as well. It was somewhat disorienting to see the ThisWorkbook object come out as something like Diesesarbeitsbuch (sorry, my German is way rusty and I probably don't have that right, but it's something like that.)

I also love how SAP reports come out with their own little workbook palette (not the default Excel one), which means that if you copy a sheet to another workbook the colours go distinctly odd.

Scott's comment about the licensing was of interest, though. I'm going to have to take a look at that further. Seems like an absurdly draconian licensing agreement if that is indeed the case, but with the amount that SAP charge it wouldn't surprise me. We go the data file route, but mainly because the network connection to the division that uses SAP is decidedly... snail like.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

I'm waiting to get to a client who will let me ferret round the 'real' SAP tables. The risk (of course) is that SAP can change the names or structures in a new version and break your code. But hey...

And I know someone who tried to persuade me that Cognos licensing meant that if you emailed a report to a colleague that made the colleague a user who had to pay a license. Pshaw!
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

We email our reports to the world. I'd better let the boss know it's going be an expensive year......

{load slamming of door as they throw me out. Followed by a an ouch when they throw the TM1 server after me!!}
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote:
jim wood wrote:I have connected driectly in the past with other tools. Regardless of what SAP think, the main issue is that all the table names are in German.
And when you generate an Excel report, the module names come out in German as well. It was somewhat disorienting to see the ThisWorkbook object come out as something like Diesesarbeitsbuch (sorry, my German is way rusty and I probably don't have that right, but it's something like that.)
{Slaps wrist...} That should be "DieseArbeitsmappe". Close...
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

I will be diving into the SAP tables via ODBC in 2009. Hello MARA, ALNA, KNA1, and WTF! :)

Wish me luck!
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Eric,

As far as I remeber there are SAP sites that help you through the table names and what they mean. If you find something like that it may be worth posting links on here (I can't remember where I got the info from. It's been about 5 years since I did it and I have slept for many nights since.),

Jim.

PS. Could you please change your avatar. I keep on having to restrain myself. (If I don't my sreen in work will get damaged!!) :twisted:
Shop at Amazon
rollo19
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by rollo19 »

On the IBM site - supported environments for TM1 9.4: "Cognos TM1 Connector for use with SAP BW - BW version 3.5 and Netweaver BI 7 supported."

Jut wondering if anyone tried the TI data connector for SAP 4.5B?? Or should we dump, then load what is wanted by file?