ODBC - Unable to Open Connection to Database

sbalaz
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4MR1
Excel Version: 2007

ODBC - Unable to Open Connection to Database

Post by sbalaz »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up ODBC connection for *.xls file and I am not able to find any detailed help on this.
We are using Citrix to access TM1 server, i.e.:
1. TM1 server is running on one machine. Service account belongs to local administrators group on this machine.
2. Clients are installed on Citrix server.

*.xls file to be used as ODBC source is placed on the machine where TM1 server is running (#1 above). It was set as ODBC source through System DSN.

I can see and select ODBC data source in TI. However, after entering SQL statement and clicking PREVIEW, I am getting Unable to Open Connection to Database message.

Is there something I have overlooked?
Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Stanislav
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: ODBC - Unable to Open Connection to Database

Post by tomok »

What version of TM1? 32-bit or 64-bit? There are no 64-bit ODBC drivers for Excel so if it is 64-bt TM1 it's not going to work.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
mattgoff
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

He can see the DSN in TI, so this isn't a 32- vs 64-bit issue. My guess is something around Windows permissions. Should be fine from the setup you describe, but I would double-check it. Maybe try explicitly giving the TM1 service account access to the file rather than relying on local admin to cover it.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
sbalaz

Post by sbalaz »

tomok wrote:What version of TM1? 32-bit or 64-bit? There are no 64-bit ODBC drivers for Excel so if it is 64-bt TM1 it's not going to work.
Version 9.4.1, 32 bit.
mattgoff wrote:He can see the DSN in TI, so this isn't a 32- vs 64-bit issue. My guess is something around Windows permissions. Should be fine from the setup you describe, but I would double-check it. Maybe try explicitly giving the TM1 service account access to the file rather than relying on local admin to cover it.

Matt
I will try with access directly to the file.
I was also thinking about communication between Citrix machine and TM1 machine... A local path is used in ODBC definition (D:\...).
Is it possible that: I can see ODBC source in TI (browse button) but TM1 is unable to query the ODBC source as client is running on Citrix machine and it does not know D:\... ???
I intented to define ODBC connection using network path to the file, but I did not find this option :(

Is there something I should check on Citrix machine where clients are installed?
sbalaz

Post by sbalaz »

It works now.
Our server admin checked ODBC connections once again and found out that he had not set up connections correctly.
No problem in communication between Citrix and TM1 machines.

Stanislav