Copy your PAW book design to another TM1 server

luizg2019
OLAP Product: TM1 - PAX-PAW-Perspectiv-Arc
Version: PA 2.0.9 - PAW 2.0.73
Excel Version: office 2016

Copy your PAW book design to another TM1 server

Post by luizg2019 »

Hello,

Let's say you have two TM1 Servers, server A and B. You built a book design on PAW for server A and wants to migrate it to server B (suppose both share the same structure (cube names, views, dimension names, processes, and whatelse you have in your book), unfortunately the 'migrate assets' feature on PAW only works if both servers share the same name, so you can move from DEV server to PROD server but if you want to migrate to Server A to server B, you can't since it will keep looking for the Server A's objects (cubes, dimensions, etc).

I've found a way on how to migrate between different servers. You'll need a linux machine because of the paw migration export file is in the .gz format, I tried using windows and it didn't work, PAW couldn't detect the file on import, if anyone knows how to do it on windows then please post here.

1. Go go PAW > Administration > Lifecycle Management > Create Snapshot > Select the books that you want to migrate to Server B > Add to cart > click on "Export".
It will download a your-name.gz file on your computer.

2. Open your linux terminal and go to the download folder, unzip it with the command 'sudo gunzip your-name.gz'

3. Open the unzipped your-name (no extension) file on your preferred text editor (I use VS Code).

4. Find the name of your server using CTRL+F. It will appear on a lot of lines like this: "serverName\":\"ServerA\", select the name of your server and use the replace text feature (ctrl+h) to replace "ServerA" with the name of the server you want to migrate, in my case it will become like this: "serverName\":\"ServerB\". Use the "Replace All" feature so all lines can be replaced.

5. Save the file, go back to the terminal window and zip the file again with the command 'sudo gzip your-name'

6. Go to PAW > Administration > Lifecycle Management > Manage Snapshopts > Click on the button "Import" in the bottom right, select the your-name.gz file (the one that you changed the server names), import it, and migrate it to your personal folder and then you can move it to the Shared Folder.

That's it, when you open the new book it will look for the same objects but in server B.

Thank you.
Last edited by luizg2019 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
luizg2019

Re: Copy your PAW book design to another TM1 server

Post by luizg2019 »

Can a mod move this to the 'Useful code, tips and tricks' section? Thanks.
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

Thank you for sharing.

While we're at it, can anyone explain why this
luizg2019 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:14 am import it to your personal folder and then you can move it to the Shared Folder.
makes any sense?
From what I can see in my testing, you cannot overwrite the existing book, so you need to delete the target book first and then move the personal one you now have over the previous one. This causes the following:
* no bulk promotions (you're going book by book)
* you lose all security at this point on this book and need to reset it (from screenshots and what not?)
* not sure what happens with any links to the book from other books.

Is it just me being stupid and missing something very obvious or is LifeCycle manager promotion so manually intensive that it's 'easier' to re-implement the changes on the other side?

Thanks,
Y
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

Isn't there also the option that when you Migrate and it errors (because the target server doesn't exist) it allows you to Select a TM1 database and you can then select the one you want?

Maren
luizg2019

Post by luizg2019 »

MarenC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:15 am Hi,

Isn't there also the option that when you Migrate and it errors (because the target server doesn't exist) it allows you to Select a TM1 database and you can then select the one you want?

Maren
This never happened to me before, I belive it's only for cloud clients no? On PAW local it doesn't let you select the target server or am I doing something wrong?
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

You create the snapshot, go to lifecycle management Manage Snapshots,
Click Import, select the exported zip,
Select Migrate, Migrate Again

It should say Select Target Environment (there should be a default)

Enter a Folder name
Select Migrate again
If the server name doesn't exist it should fail, saying TM1 database not available
To the right of this message you should see in Red 'Select a TM1 database'
Select the one you want and Save

Maren
luizg2019

Post by luizg2019 »

MarenC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:02 pm If the server name doesn't exist it should fail, saying TM1 database not available
I've never seen this before. :oops: How do you create a snapshot of a database that doesnt exist thouogh? Like I made modifications on server A and want to migrate this to server B but both exist already. I could only replicate this by downloading a snapshot of an existing server doing what I did in my original post (download the file, change the name manually, zip again, etc) but changing the name to a server that doesn't exist, then it showed me this page asking to select the database...

Also I noticed that the buttons that executes processes didn't update to the new server that I selected... also losing its parameter configuration :x
When I do this manually, everything works.
luizg2019

Post by luizg2019 »

ykud wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 am * no bulk promotions (you're going book by book)
* you lose all security at this point on this book and need to reset it (from screenshots and what not?)
Yeah it's annoying having to set up the security on each book manually again, but at least now you don't have to change the cube views, processes, etc inside the books manually anymore hehe. And if you keep all your books organized inside folders, it's easier to move one folder from your personal to the shared folder.
ykud wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 am * not sure what happens with any links to the book from other books.
Good question!
I tried this now and in both cases, when you have a button navigating to another sheet inside the same book and when you have a button navigating to another book inside the same folder seemed to work though...
tm123
OLAP Product: tm1, cognos bi
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by tm123 »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this.

I have both databases ( Dev and Test) on the same server, one called FnP_Dev and the other one FnP_QA

I created all the books and views in DEV and now when I try thing Life Cycle Management to migrate them to QA, yes the package gets created and it gets migrated, but all the Views are still pointing to DEV Cubes

I have only one Workspace Server and there I have 2 databases setup.

And I cannot see how I can even change the Database name in the Views

WHen I go to setup SOurce to Target Mapping, on the Drop Down for Source I have Only "DEFAULT" and on the Drop Down for Target I also have only "DEFAULT"

Is there any way to change the Database Name after the Vews are migrated?
Workspace_Source_target Mapping.PNG
Workspace_Source_target Mapping.PNG (21.52 KiB) Viewed 10797 times
Thanks
luizg2019

Post by luizg2019 »

tm123 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 am Hi,

Thanks for sharing this.

I have both databases ( Dev and Test) on the same server, one called FnP_Dev and the other one FnP_QA

I created all the books and views in DEV and now when I try thing Life Cycle Management to migrate them to QA, yes the package gets created and it gets migrated, but all the Views are still pointing to DEV Cubes

I have only one Workspace Server and there I have 2 databases setup.

And I cannot see how I can even change the Database name in the Views

WHen I go to setup SOurce to Target Mapping, on the Drop Down for Source I have Only "DEFAULT" and on the Drop Down for Target I also have only "DEFAULT"

Is there any way to change the Database Name after the Vews are migrated?

Workspace_Source_target Mapping.PNG

Thanks
Yeah, I had the same problem, that's why I had to export the image and change the "server-name" setting manually and then re-import the image to paw, like I mentioned in the opening post. Did you try that method?