Drill Through custom views/subsets

PavoGa
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Drill Through custom views/subsets

Post by PavoGa »

I have all but given up on using drill throughs anymore as the inability to get RETURNVIEWHANDLE to return a customized view has become an albatross. I have a somewhat cumbersome technique that seemed to work in 2.0.5, but have heard that has even gone away in 2.0.8

Is anyone still customizing drill views and getting them to properly render in PA? If so, I'd certainly appreciate the magic incantation.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Drill Through custom views/subsets

Post by Wim Gielis »

PavoGa wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:31 pm Is anyone still customizing drill views and getting them to properly render in PA?
Yes I do. I replied to your PM.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

We are still on 2.0.5 so I would be interested to know if this technique no longer still works in 2.0.8

In the EPILOG put IF( 1 = 0 ) around the generated statements so they don't get executed, then put your custom RETURNVIEWHANDLE below.

Code: Select all

IF( 1 = 0 ) ;
#****Begin: Generated Statements***
RETURNVIEWHANDLE('zTD_Financial','zTD_All');
#****End: Generated Statements****
ENDIF ;

RETURNVIEWHANDLE( vCube, vView ) ;
Regards

Paul Simon
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hi Paul,

I still do that in a generic process to create drills to level 0 views, that are created on the fly when the drill is executed. It leaves a bunch of views and subsets but a clean up process and good naming conventions can solve this.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Can you be more specific about your issues Ty?

We are using the same method that Paul indicated and not seeing any issues with functionality. (Yes of sure there are some issues that the object names displayed in the UI don't seem to be updated, but the more important thing is that it actually works).
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

lotsaram wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:01 am Can you be more specific about your issues Ty?

We are using the same method that Paul indicated and not seeing any issues with functionality. (Yes of sure there are some issues that the object names displayed in the UI don't seem to be updated, but the more important thing is that it actually works).
I have exactly the same experience as Lotsaram.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
PowerDim
Version: PAL 2x
Excel Version: Excel 2019

Post by PowerDim »

Hello everyone!

Our version: PA 2.0.8 (11.6.00000.14)
We use customized views in drills in exactly the same way.
Unfortunately, we observe that when we change the name of a view in the Prolog, nothing happens. Drill opens the view that is selected on the Source tab, but with new correct subsets. At the same time, the view with new name is created and is available in the cube views.

Perhaps, does anyone managed to find a solution to this problem?
Nothing was found in the fix-lists 2.0.9, 2.0.9 IF2 and 2.0.9.1 (https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6192099).

--
Best regards,
Dmitry
Best regards,
Dmitry
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

lotsaram wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:01 am Can you be more specific about your issues Ty?

Bit of a delay in responding, but I'm using them. Not thrilled about the title dimension issue, but simply assigning every dimension to a row/column at least properly displays the custom subsets within the rendered view; the client can then simply rearrange the dimensions as they wish.

Here is a link to another discussion about the topic:

https://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php? ... h&start=20
Ty
Cleveland, TN
!TM1Rules
OLAP Product: TM1\Cognos Express
Version: All
Excel Version: 2013 + 2016

Post by !TM1Rules »

Hi,

I know this thread is very old, but I am still having an issue where my drill-throughs do not assign my custom subsets to the view for some Title\Context dimensions. I have attempted two methods with creating a drill-through, the first being where the datasource is set to 'None' and I create an entirely custom view in the prolog (assigning title, row, and column dimensions) and the second method where I pre-canned a view in the target cube with the drill through simply updating the existing subsets. However, in both instances the returned view does returns "(Unnamed)" subsets for 4 out of 5 title dimensions - interestingly the subsets are created they are correctly created in the background they are just not in the output view (including the pre-canned view). I would also point out that the behaviour is inconsistent, I have a drill-through to another cube using the first method described above which is correctly assigning all custom subsets to the title dimension - so I am absolutely stumped as to why drill-throughs don't behave the same on different cubes.

I have raised this with IBM but was basically fobbed off and told custom views in drill-throughs are not supported. Although even the pre-canned view as a datasource doesn't work, so it seems like a bit of a cop out from my perspective :roll: .

Any thoughts\advice would be greatly appreciated.