TM1 Architect - Toolbar is VERY small

timkptam
OLAP Product: IBM TM1
Version: v10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

TM1 Architect - Toolbar is VERY small

Post by timkptam »

Hi everyone, I am a newbie for this forum and also TM1. Recently, I have installed TM1 v 10.2.2. on my laptop and the toolbar is extremely tiny. I cannot properly see icons for copy, delete, expand, etc. My operating system is windows 10.

Does anyone of you have similar experience? If yes, how did you resolve it? It annoys me a lot.

Thanks.
KPT
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1 Architect - Toolbar is VERY small

Post by lotsaram »

A screenshot might be helpful!
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

timkptam wrote:Hi everyone, I am a newbie for this forum and also TM1. Recently, I have installed TM1 v 10.2.2. on my laptop and the toolbar is extremely tiny. I cannot properly see icons for copy, delete, expand, etc. My operating system is windows 10.

Does anyone of you have similar experience? If yes, how did you resolve it? It annoys me a lot.
As Lotsaram said, a screenshot would be useful, but so would knowing the resolution of your desktop.

Another thing to consider is that as of the time of writing Windows 10 is not on the list of supported operating systems. Although Windows constantly bugs me about getting my FREEEE! upgrade to Windows 10, personally I have chosen to indefinitely delay that particular nightmare given that a previous Windows 8.1 update pretty much crippled my notebook (I don't think it was the update as such, just that it didn't complete correctly) and I had to rely on the HP utilities to roll it back to a usable state; utilities which I'll bet are not Windows 10 compatible. (And it's not getting anywhere near my Windows 7 machines which, unlike Windows 8, is a good operating system, for as long as is humanly possible.)

One may of course choose to believe the Microsoft marketing department's claim that:
Windows 10 is familiar and easy to use, with lots of similarities to Windows 7 including the Start menu. It starts up and resumes fast, has more built-in security to help keep you safe, and is designed to work with software and hardware you already have.
However based on what I've seen in the Microsoft forums, in claiming that older software still works correctly on Windows 10 the Microsoft marketers have as casual a relationship with the truth as the Soviet-era newspaper Pravda did. Of course they can make the claim that Windows 10 will run the software that you currently have by having Windows 7 and 8 break your ability to run any software that Windows 10 won't run. That of course gives them the out of saying "Ah, but that software won't run on Windows 7 either!" while muttering under their breath "any more, anyway". My point being... when it comes to Windows 10 there are no guarantees that legacy software will perform correctly, the claims of MS marketing 'droids notwithstanding.

The next thing to bear in mind is that Perspectives (and I'm assuming that you are referring to Perspectives icons here?) was designed back in the days of yore when screen resolutions were much lower, and IBM has stated that they aren't updating it any more. The icons used are 24*24 pixels. On an olde 1024 *768 monitor one icon would cover about 2.3% of the screen width. Even on 1366*768 (and about half of the visitors to my photography site are that resolution or lower, even now) that's 1.76% of the width. On my own desktop (2560*1440) it drops to less than 1% of the width (0.95) which makes them smallish. (Though on a full sized photo editing monitor, not that small.) On a notebook, this may be a different story but if you have your screen res cranked all the way up it'll be a wonder that you can see anything in the way of legacy toolbars. Microsoft Office 2003 and prior did have the option of selecting larger toolbar icons (since .ico files can be packaged in multiple sizes, allowing the user or O/S to switch between them) but as far as I know that was never implemented in the TM1 GUI; the 24*24 icon size is all you get. And Windows 10 support or not, it's highly unlikely that that will change.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

This is somewhat relevant...
http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11984
I've done some initial testing with W10 (in a VM, of course - I'm not quite as mad as to use a real box I might need) and Perspectives at least behaved as expected. W10 itself was not too bad once Classic Shell had been applied to get rid of the only_slightly_less_annoying start menu.
timkptam

Post by timkptam »

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=B48 ... ZyEAKgloy8" width="320" height="165" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
TM1 Architect Small ToolbarC.jpg
TM1 Architect Small ToolbarC.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 7244 times
See screenshot above (forgive me if photo is not embedded since I am not active in forum space) which I have snipped from TM1 Architect. My current screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 and I have tried scale down to 1440 x 900 (and other resolutions lower than that), the icons still look terribly small. I might have to consider moving back to Window 7 or 8.1 if this annoying issue still exists.

Admin edit; the relevant part of the linked image has been embedded for reference.
timkptam

Post by timkptam »

URL of screenshot: http://1drv.ms/1Pifdbb
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

I still suspect that this has to do with your specific display settings and not necessarily with the O/S as such.

In the display settings there is an option to "Make Text And Other Items Larger Or Smaller". (Incidentally, to embed images, look below the posting window. You'll see tabs titled Options and Attachments. Switch to Attachments and select the [Add File] button. Try to keep the size to about 800 to 1000 pixels wide so that the whole thing can be seen on most monitors, if possible. You can place the image in the body of the text by selecting where it's to appear and clicking the [Place Inline] button):
ScreenSize01.jpg
ScreenSize01.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
When you click on the highlighted link you get this. At a guess it will be similar in Windows 10:
ScreenSize02.jpg
ScreenSize02.jpg (93.65 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
On my Windows 8.1 notebook (1920*1080) I can't change the "Change The Size Of All Items" value unless I check the "Let me choose one scaling level for all of my displays" box. When I do, I see that Hewlett Packard defaulted it to 125%. And sure enough those 24 pixel icons on my non-scaled desktop are 30 pixels (an increase of 6, or 25% of 24) on my notebook.

What it looks like to me is that rather than scaling all items on your display, the Windows 10 equivalent of "Change Only The Text Size" has been used to increase the size of your menus and captions, but leaving your icons at their original size.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
gibson
Version: 102
Excel Version: 14

Post by gibson »

timkptam wrote: See screenshot above (forgive me if photo is not embedded since I am not active in forum space) which I have snipped from TM1 Architect. My current screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 and I have tried scale down to 1440 x 900 (and other resolutions lower than that), the icons still look terribly small. I might have to consider moving back to Window 7 or 8.1 if this annoying issue still exists.
Is the laptop actually natively 2560 x 1440 or are you outputting to a monitor? I agree with Alan, looks like text settings. The server icon next to "TM1" is the same size as the icons on the toolbar.