Limiting dimension titles on an export

Bucjeff
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2
Excel Version: Office 365

Limiting dimension titles on an export

Post by Bucjeff »

Hi all,

VERY new TM1 user. We haven't gone live yet and I am developing reporting. I have an active form report that does great on the web. I really like the functionality of the export to PDF or Excel, especially the ability to create what I would call a " book" from the one report by selecting a dimension title for it to multiply and create a worksheet for each item in that dimension.
The problem I have is the dimension that would be most useful to do this for has a hierarchy. My question is how do I get it to only create a sheet for a particular section of the hierarchy that I originally selected and not for everything the user has security to.

my attempt to represent graphically an example of our hierarchy attached

If the user has access to the entire hierarchy but in the report they have selected West. The behavior I am looking for is a book to be created with 4 sheets: West, 100777, 100778, 100779. The parent that is selected plus its children

What happens though is it wants to create a book for everything they have access to.

Is this controllable?

thanks in advance

Jeff
TM1 10.2.2
Excel 2013
Attachments
sample hierarchy.xlsx
(8.94 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Newb Jeff
10.2.2 FP 3
Excel 2010
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Re: Limiting dimension titles on an export

Post by Edward Stuart »

There is a Subset Editor for the Title dimension where specific groupings can be defined

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledge ... Screen2of3

Subsets can be manually created or dynamically defined. A quick search on the forum will point you in the right direction for dynamic subsets.
Bucjeff

Post by Bucjeff »

I fully admit to being a new user and a bit daft at that. My issue is the export process wants to create a tab for every member of the total company hierarchy - even when a much smaller set is selected in the report on the web. The drop down with the subnm has the entire hierarchy available. when a user selects a level lower than the top I want just that level and its children to be exported to tabs.

My question is how does the TM1 web determine what to try to send to Excel? apparently it is all values returned by the subnm not what is selected? How can I change it to only the selected item in the subnm drop down?

Seriously thank you for any help or guidance here.
Newb Jeff
10.2.2 FP 3
Excel 2010
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Hi,

TM1 doesn't have an option to export only the displayed element and its children/descendants.

The options you get are after clicking export a single tick box for every subnm on the sheet that are either:
A/ Ticked - Means all elements in the whole subset of the subnm are exported as individual sheets (you can set the max sheets allowed for export as an overall config setting)
B/ Not Ticked - Only exports the individual element selected.

If you wanted to export the selected element and its children as individual sheets the user would need to select an existing subset with all those relevant elements (and no others) in OR they can use the advanced subset editor to have their own temporary (or saved private) subset of the relevant elements - but this would not be selected dynamically and they would have to select it themselves in the subset editor before clicking export (regardless of whether it is a pre-saved public subset, pre-saved manual subset or 1 off temporary selection of elements.)

Below is a link to the TM1 Web User Guide as a pdf; page 41 explains the advanced subset editor (it looks maybe a tad out of date from a quick glance but all the concepts you would need are there) sadly it would require some training of all relevant users as although its not "difficult" as such I wouldn't necessarily say it is intuitive either.
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/data ... tm1_wb.pdf
Declan Rodger
Bucjeff

Post by Bucjeff »

Perfect!

That's what I needed to know.

Thanks
Newb Jeff