VBA & Macros not working in TM1 Applications 10.2.2

sdarpa
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.6 IF4
Excel Version: 365 ProPlus v2016

VBA & Macros not working in TM1 Applications 10.2.2

Post by sdarpa »

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

(Note: sorry that my earlier post said TM1 Web, I meant to say that it was TM1 Applications (aka Contributor)

It had been working fine for my client prior to them upgrading to the TM1 Enterprise version 10.2.2

This is what they are saying: We have some Applications that use Active Forms to help users export data. Some of these active forms had macros attached to hide columns with no values. With the new version, macros can’t be used, and columns are not dynamic. I’ve been trying to find a workaround but no luck. Even if I save the file as xlsm, when users export, it converts the file to xlsx and drops any attached macros. Is there something on the system that can help execute the same actions as a macro to hide columns, or any other workaround.
Last edited by sdarpa on Thu May 28, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Re: VBA and Macros not working in TM1 Web TM1 10.2.2

Post by Michel Zijlema »

sdarpa wrote:Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

We recently upgraded to the TM1 10.2.2 version. We have some applications that use active forms to help users export data. Some of these active forms had macros attached to hide columns with no values. With the new version, macros can’t be use, and columns are not dynamic. I’ve been trying to find a workaround but no luck. Even if I save the file as xlsm, when users exports, it converts the file to xlsx a drops any attached macros. Is there something on the system that can help execute the same actions as a macro to hide columns, or any other workaround.
Hi,

Macros are not supported in TM1 Web (and have never been supported...). See this IBM technote.

Michel
sdarpa
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.6 IF4
Excel Version: 365 ProPlus v2016

Re: VBA & Macros not working in TM1 Applications 10.2.2

Post by sdarpa »

Thanks for answering Michel. I was not quite awake this morning and really should have typed TM1 Applications and not Web.
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Isn't it a mute point? I thought web renders the excel sheets for application server?
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

sdarpa wrote:Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

(Note: sorry that my earlier post said TM1 Web, I meant to say that it was TM1 Applications (aka Contributor)

It had been working fine for my client prior to them upgrading to the TM1 Enterprise version 10.2.2

This is what they are saying: We have some Applications that use Active Forms to help users export data. Some of these active forms had macros attached to hide columns with no values. With the new version, macros can’t be used, and columns are not dynamic. I’ve been trying to find a workaround but no luck. Even if I save the file as xlsm, when users export, it converts the file to xlsx and drops any attached macros. Is there something on the system that can help execute the same actions as a macro to hide columns, or any other workaround.
sdarpa wrote:Thanks for answering Michel. I was not quite awake this morning and really should have typed TM1 Applications and not Web.
Forget awake, I think you might actually still be dreaming. Don't know what you're smoking but feel free to share some around. TM1 web never has (and never will) support VBA. Quite simply put it isn't Excel. The graphical representation of what was in Excel is simply rendered in the web. As of 10.2 Excel isn't even used anymore on the web server to do the initial rendering. TM1 Applications if using a websheet for a tab is just showing a tm1web window. There's no problem to solve, macros aren't supported for web and never were. Sorry to burst the bubble, and sorry to just parrot what Jim and Michel already said, but the message didn't seem to get through.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Just one minor point for anyone who may be doing an archaeological dig on this thread at a future time...

I agree that VBA is not currently supported in TM1 Web. (And, with the banishment of Excel from the Web server in 10.2, will never be again.)

However there was a very brief summer of Web in 8.4 where you could run (some) VBA in Web. There were even some threads on the Old Applix Forum expressing a deal of enthusiasm for this development (before the realities of the implementation were exposed).

However it was a false summer, for within one major version it had gone the way of dynamic slices. From the 9.0 Release Notes:
Applix TM1 9.0 Release Notes wrote:TM1 Web 8.4 allowed administrators to execute an Excel VBA add-in from the web client at login time. This functionality is not included in TM1 Web 9.0.
However this does not appear to be the situation described in the original post, unless the original poster has upgraded straight from 8.4. (Which was distinctly pre-Contributor, if I recall, but we've already had one false start so I'm not completely discounting the possibility.)
sdarpa wrote:(Note: sorry that my earlier post said TM1 Web, I meant to say that it was TM1 Applications (aka Contributor)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.