No read access to element, cannot view

miker100
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.1 SP4 HF2 x64
Excel Version: 2003

No read access to element, cannot view

Post by miker100 »

Hi All,

A bit of a newbie to TM1 and having played around with a dimension I get the above error message. Any clues?

Thanks

Mike
ajain86
Community Contributor
Version: 9.4.1 9.5 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Re: No read access to element, cannot view

Post by ajain86 »

Mike,

Can you please explain what you are trying to do and when exactly you see an error?

thanks,

Ankur
Ankur Jain
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

miker100 wrote: A bit of a newbie to TM1 and having played around with a dimension I get the above error message. Any clues?
Take a look at the TM1 Developer's Guide .pdf document for version 9.1, specifically chapter 6, "Controlling Access to TM1 Objects".

In short:
- You've applied element level security to the dimension. Most likely at some point you were using an Admin login, right clicked on the dimension, selected "Security" -> "Elements Security Assignments...", made some changes and exited the dialog, thus imposing element security on the dimension;
- You're attempting to open the dimension or a cube using the dimension using a non-Admin login; a login which has not been put into a security group which has at least read access to the dimension elements.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
miker100

Post by miker100 »

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am an admin user and all group have at least write permission in the dimension. What I did to cause this was write a process to load an alternative consolidation on this dimension. When I ran the process it deleted the existing consolidation level and added the new one. This was strange in itself. Since then despite recreating the original consolidation I get that error message. Most strange

Thanks

Mike
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi,
It's most likely a problem with the view you are trying to open. When the view was saved, it was referencing a particular set of elements.
On one of the dimensions you deleted all the elements and added some new ones.
You tired to open the view and in one dimension all the elements that were in the view definition had been deleted. This was reported to you as a security issue.
Once the view was broken, reinstating the elements won't help, broke is broke.

Solution : Delete the (probably default) view of the cube concerned.
HTH
Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
miker100

Post by miker100 »

Hi Steve,

Yep broke is broke. I deleted the view as you suggested and hey presto its back in business.

Thanks a lot.

Mike
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Mike

This only happens when the missing element is in the Title area of the view. It is not a problem if it is in the row or column area. The view will still open but you won't see data.

If your View uses an unnamed subset in the title area, then as per the previous post there is nothing that you can do but delete the View and re-create it.

However, if the View used a named subset on the dimension that has the problem, then just by re-creating the element and putting it in to that subset, you can then use the View again.

Regards

Paul Simon
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Post by rkaif »

I got the same error once and I deleted the following to get it working:

CubeName.Default.blb
CubeName}vues (folder)

then I restarted the TM1 Server/Windows Service
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

rkaif wrote:I got the same error once and I deleted the following to get it working:

CubeName.Default.blb
CubeName}vues (folder)
That sounds a bit drastic as deleting the }Vues folder for the cube will blow away all views for the cube!

As per Paul's post this error message only apples when a title dimension (context filter for our newer Cognos colleagues) has no element assigned. You only need to delete the view if the title dimension causing the error uses an unregistered subset. A good reason IMO to ensure that all public views must use public subsets for all dimensions. Don't forget that title elements are assigned by index and not by name. The cause of this error could be an empty subset assigned to a title dimension but could just as well be due to a dimension having a title index of 10 assigned and then the subset is edited to have only 9 elements. Resave the subset in question with sufficient elements and the view will be fixed.
asutcliffe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4.1 - 10.1
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Post by asutcliffe »

lotsaram wrote:.... Don't forget that title elements are assigned by index and not by name. The cause of this error could be an empty subset assigned to a title dimension but could just as well be due to a dimension having a title index of 10 assigned and then the subset is edited to have only 9 elements. Resave the subset in question with sufficient elements and the view will be fixed.
I've got the same problem. I what's happened is the element has been deleted and then an element with the same name added again. It now has an index of 3 when previously I presume it had an index of 1. I have a number of views that I'd rather not re-create from scratch. I am hoping I can simply edit the vue file directly. Has anyone tried this?

Cheers,
Alex
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

If you have enough views to make it worthwhile you could reassign subsets and elements via code in TI or with API code.

If you are talking about manually editing the .vue files I don't see how this is any easier than manually recreating views. If you do want to do this then yes it should be possible but I would only do this when the server is down as editing .sub and .vue files directly while the server is in session can cause issues, even server crashes in some versions.
kpk
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, CX
Version: TM1 7x 8x 9x 10x CX 9.5 10.1
Excel Version: XP 2003 2007 2010

Post by kpk »

As far as I remember you can change the elements in the corrupt view from the "Export as ASCII data" window if you do not want to delete and recreate it.
Best Regards,
Peter
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

True. :D

Why did no one else think of that? Nice tip Peter
asutcliffe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4.1 - 10.1
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Post by asutcliffe »

Thanks Peter, I'd managed to work around it already but this should be easier next time.

Alex