TM1 PAW - Exploration view - Insert calcul on 2 dimensions

mrdauduong
OLAP Product: Planning analytics
Version: PA 2.0.74.23
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Re: TM1 PAW - Exploration view - Insert calcul on 2 dimensions

Post by mrdauduong »

i think MDX option is still a better way because it is more flexible ! and i can add a variable instead of a element fixe!!
MarenC wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:30 am Hi Keith,

Edited:

I get what you mean, you just select from one dimension but from different blocks of the other dimension. Well, I never knew that worked.

I should thank Mr Duong for his persistence! Though I should add if he wants to makes this dynamic(que) then I presume the MDX option is the only way.

Maren
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

If you have a calculated measure of sufficent complexity that you need to make a MDX view, wouldn't you write a ruled measure or consolidation instead?

Put aside the relative complexity of a rule versus MDX and the level of rights you need to on the DB to undetake this activity.

I'm genuinely interested if there are use cases where an MDX view can deliver things that are not possible or obviously better than in a rule / consolidation?

I guess your MDX view can reference selections made in a users picklist cube and then alter the variance calculation based on what's selected. That variance calculation is only available in that view though.

If I did similair work in a rule sheet (or more likely a consolidation) then the variance is available for everyone everywhere all the time. I would have to create multiple variance measures though and the user would need to make sure they pick the right one for what they are looking at, so there is some complexity there that does not exist in an MDX view. I can also see how I could manipulate what is in the column set to cope with users navgating around using set MDX to get around this.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Post by Adam »

Steve Rowe wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:52 pmI'm genuinely interested if there are use cases where an MDX view can deliver things that are not possible or obviously better than in a rule / consolidation?
I've started a new thread: https://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16328
Take care.
Adam