Optimize While

aleferrer
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2007 STARDAND

Optimize While

Post by aleferrer »

Hello everyone!

I am loading from one cube to another cube.
The destination cube has a different dimension than the source cube. This dimension (02.Codigo_Funcional) has 6800 elements.
I am using the while function to allocate the data in the destination cube.
But my process is taking about 2 hour to run.
This is the code I am using:

vContador=1;

WHILE (vContador<=DIMSIZ('02.Codigo_Funcional'));

vContador= vContador+1;

vElemento = DIMNM ('02.Codigo_Funcional', vContador);

IF(ELLEV('02.Codigo_Funcional', DIMNM('02.Codigo_Funcional', vContador)) = 0);

CellPutN(vVALOR,'CMU.PARQUE_FUNCIONAL',
vVERSAO,
vCENARIO,
vMESES,
vANO,
vDATA_REFERENCIA,
vCOD_MARCA,
vDATA_FIM_GARANTIA,
vCOD_MERCADO,
vGRUPO_ECONOMICO,
vCOD_VERSAO,
vCOD_MODELO,
vCOD_FAMILIA,
vCOD_MVS,
vElemento,
'QTD_VEI');

ENDIF;

END;

Does anyone suggest anything so that I can optimize this code?

Thanks

Alessandro

PS: sorry for the poor English
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Re: Optimize While

Post by gtonkin »

Two quick things you could try without going into why and what you are doing.
1) Have you turned off logging?
2) You could set nContadorMax=DIMSIZ('02.Codigo_Funcional'); Then use the new variable in your while instead of sizing it each time.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

3) create a static subset with level 0 elements. That’s at least taking out some of the overhead.

Is the value that each element receives, the same ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

gtonkin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:51 pm Two quick things you could try without going into why and what you are doing.
1) Have you turned off logging?
R: I deactivated after your suggestion.
2) You could set nContadorMax=DIMSIZ('02.Codigo_Funcional'); Then use the new variable in your while instead of sizing it each time.
R: Based on your suggestion and wimgielis, I created and changed the code:

vCounter = 1;
vMaxCounter = SubsetGetSize ('02.Codigo_Funcional');
WHILE (vCounter <= vMax counter);

vCounter = vCounter + 1;

vElement = DIMNM ('02.Codigo_Funcional', vCounter);

IF (ELLEV ('02.Codigo_Funcional', DIMNM ('02.Codigo_Funcional', vCounter)) = 0);

CellPutN (vVALUE, 'CMU.FUNCTIONAL_PART',
vVERSION,
vCENARIO,
MONTHS,
vANO,
vDATA_REFERENCE,
vCOD_MARCA,
vDATA_FIM_GARRANTY,
vCOD_MERCADO,
vECONOMIC GROUP,
vCOD_VERSAO,
vCOD_MODEL,
vCOD_FAMILIA,
vCOD_MVS,
vElement,
'QTD_VEI');
ENDIF;

The process is still slow.

Anyway thank you very much for the suggestions.
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm 3) create a static subset with level 0 elements. That’s at least taking out some of the overhead.

I created the subset.

And the elements get the same values.

Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Did you check your code for errors/inconsistencies ?

- SubsetGetSize asks a dimension and a subset, you only have one.
- You are looping from 1 to the number of elements of a subset. Still, you pass this subset index as a dimension index.
- Even more, you check whether the returned element (if any) is level 0

Still, I agree that it will probably be slow after the changes.

You need to elaborate on what you are doing, why, what are the business requirements and so on.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:10 pm Did you check your code for errors/inconsistencies ?

- SubsetGetSize asks a dimension and a subset, you only have one.
- You are looping from 1 to the number of elements of a subset. Still, you pass this subset index as a dimension index.
- Even more, you check whether the returned element (if any) is level 0

Still, I agree that it will probably be slow after the changes.

You need to elaborate on what you are doing, why, what are the business requirements and so on.

Sorry, the correct code is this:

vCounter = 1;
vMaxCounter = SubsetGetSize ('02.Codigo_Funcional','N0');
WHILE (vCounter <= vMaxCounter);

vCounter = vCounter + 1;

IF (ELLEV ('02.Codigo_Funcional', DIMNM ('02.Codigo_Funcional', vCounter)) = 0);

vVERSION,
vCENARIO,
MONTHS,
vANO,
vDATA_REFERENCE,
vCOD_MARCA,
vDATA_FIM_GARRANTY,
vCOD_MERCADO,
vECONOMIC GROUP,
vCOD_VERSAO,
vCOD_MODEL,
vCOD_FAMILIA,
vCOD_MVS,
vElement,
'QTD_VEI');
ENDIF;

As I am using a machine translator, some of the code has been hidden.
luizg2019
OLAP Product: TM1 - PAX-PAW-Perspectiv-Arc
Version: PA 2.0.9 - PAW 2.0.73
Excel Version: office 2016

Post by luizg2019 »

aleferrer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm 3) create a static subset with level 0 elements. That’s at least taking out some of the overhead.

I created the subset.

Do you have a lot of free memory (RAM)? If no then any process will be slower than the usual, in this case you should reboot your machine and then try running the process again.

I did something similar of what you're doing last month, but we used the the 'Cube -> Export as text data' option and then create a process to read this file as data source and made the personalized code (cellputn) in the data tab. It didn't take too much time to complete, but i don't know if it'll be any faster for you though. Just giving you more options. :|
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

luizg2019 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:27 pm
aleferrer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm

I created the subset.

Do you have a lot of free memory (RAM)? If no then any process will be slower than the usual, in this case you should reboot your machine and then try running the process again.

I did something similar of what you're doing last month, but we used the the 'Cube -> Export as text data' option and then create a process to read this file as data source and made the personalized code (cellputn) in the data tab. It didn't take too much time to complete, but i don't know if it'll be any faster for you though. Just giving you more options. :|
Yes, we have.
Thanks for the sugestion.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

First.
You are multilying the volume of data by a huge amount. Why are you taking the same piece of data and writing it to 6800 locations? (give or take, depends how many N vs. C elements). First you need to answer this question. Do you need to do this? Could this be a reference rule instead? It doesn't usually make sense to multiply data like this.

Second.
Let's deal with some other basics. You haven't said ...
1. how many cells you are processing in the data source?
2. is the data source zero supressed?
If you are also processing null values then you could be processing a mind bendingly large amount of cells. Perhaps 70K seconds isn't so bad? But to know for sure if 2 hours really is bad performance or not we need to know how many cells are being processed.

Third.
Common causes for slow performance.
1. Overfeeding on data entry. Do the cells that are being written to in the destination cube cause feeding? If yes, of what for what purpose?
2. Poorly performing rules on reads. Are the source values rule calculated? If yes what is the performance of the rules?
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

lotsaram wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:21 pm First.
You are multilying the volume of data by a huge amount. Why are you taking the same piece of data and writing it to 6800 locations? (give or take, depends how many N vs. C elements). First you need to answer this question. Do you need to do this? Could this be a reference rule instead? It doesn't usually make sense to multiply data like this.

Second.
If you are also processing null values then you could be processing a mind bendingly large amount of cells. Perhaps 70K seconds isn't so bad? But to know for sure if 2 hours really is bad performance or not we need to know how many cells are being processed.

Third.
1. Overfeeding on data entry. Do the cells that are being written to in the destination cube cause feeding? If yes, of what for what purpose?
2. Poorly performing rules on reads. Are the source values rule calculated? If yes what is the performance of the rules?
===========================================XXXX==================================================

Lotsaram, as I do not speak English well, I will try to answer your questions, thanks in advance for your help.

First

I have two cubes. The first cube has 14 dimensions and I load it through a .txt file. The cube has no rules.
The second cube has 15 dimensions and its origin is my cube 01 which has 14 dimensions.
My problem dimension is the 02.Cod_Functional dimension.
I have a calculation to be performed on another cube that I need to have the park information (number of vehicles) in the functional code granularity. As in my cube 01 (origin) I do not have this information in this granularity, I need to allocate this park by functional code, to then perform my calculation. I agree with you that this makes no sense at all, but it is a business rule. I fought a lot until I could convince myself of that.
I tried to do it as a rule, but the feeder got too big due to the size of dimension 02.Cod_Functional.

Second

1) My source has 113770 records.
2) Yes, I'm ignoring zero and consolidated cells, as prints attached.

Third

1) No. Both cubes have no rules either between them or to another cube. I am doing all cube interactions via process.
2) Cubes have no rules between them or for other cubes.

Attached are some prints of the cube structure and the rule editors.
Attachments
Estructure Cubes.rar
(87.34 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

aleferrer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:18 pm
lotsaram wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:21 pm First.

Second.

Third.
===========================================XXXX==================================================

Lotsaram, as I do not speak English well, I will try to answer your questions, thanks in advance for your help.

First

I have two cubes. The first cube has 14 dimensions and I load it through a .txt file. The cube has no rules.
The second cube has 15 dimensions and its origin is my cube 01 which has 14 dimensions.
My problem dimension is the 02.Cod_Functional dimension.
I have a calculation to be performed on another cube that I need to have the park information (number of vehicles) in the functional code granularity. As in my cube 01 (origin) I do not have this information in this granularity, I need to allocate this park by functional code, to then perform my calculation. I agree with you that this makes no sense at all, but it is a business rule. I fought a lot until I could convince myself of that.
I tried to do it as a rule, but the feeder got too big due to the size of dimension 02.Cod_Functional.

Second

1) My source has 113770 records.
2) Yes, I'm ignoring zero and consolidated cells, as prints attached.

Third

1) No. Both cubes have no rules either between them or to another cube. I am doing all cube interactions via process.
2) Cubes have no rules between them or for other cubes.

Attached are some prints of the cube structure and the rule editors.
============================================XXXX======================================================

For the sake of illustration, as per the appendix what I basically need is to have the park information in the same VLR Total SG Liquidada structure.
The VLR Total SG Liquidada information I have in the functional code structure, not the parque code.
And I need to load the park as the VLR Total SG Liquidada was loaded, that is, the same functional codes.
VLR Total SG Liquidada comes from another source and is in the functional code structure.
Attachments
Cube final.png
Cube final.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

What type of allocation are you doing to come up with the Parque value to post? Is it a proportional spread based on some other amount in the cube? There is a TI function called CellPutProportionalSpread that can do this for you and it is going to be light years faster then looping through a dimension to allocate.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

tomok wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:50 pm ...There is a TI function called CellPutProportionalSpread that can do this for you and it is going to be light years faster then looping through a dimension to allocate.
Worth pointing out that on very large models (we were populating billions of cells-daily sales across 50k stores, 200k SKUs etc.), we found it exponentially faster to calculate the ratio and save this to the cube on one layer then multiply out the result to give the proportion and save that to another i.e. mimic what the proportional spread does. The model effectively needed to break back annual forecasts to days, stores, SKUs based on sales history.

We cut down run time from somewhere over 8 hours to under 1 using the "long-hand" approach.
YMMV.
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

I don't think gTonkins long hand method will work here given I think this is spreading the same value to multiple cells, so if my understanding is correct the problem looks as follows:

Source Cube:
2019 AreaA SectionD 100
2019 AreaA SectionE 200

Destination Cube:
2019 AreaA SectionD SubSectA 100
2019 AreaA SectionD SubSectB 100
2019 AreaA SectionD SubSectC 100

2019 AreaA SectionE SubSectA 200
2019 AreaA SectionE SubSectB 200
2019 AreaA SectionE SubSectC 200

In which case the question becomes, have you limited the data to the fewest possible cellput's? Maybe treble check this.

And then if so how about Tomok's suggestion for CellPutProportionalSpread, in the above example spreading against a consolidation
in the sub section dimension?

Otherwise, looks like its 2 hours, give or take 10 minutes!

regards, Mark
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

Thank you all for the suggestion.

Since I don't speak English, I may not be able to explain my problem.

I have two cubes in different granularities:

Cube A

Dimension A
Dimension B

Cube B

Dimension A

And I have a third cube

Cube C

With dimensions:

Dimension A
Dimension B

This third cube has two measures:

VLR Total SG Settled
Park

The measure VLR Total SG Settled originates from cube A.
The measure Park originates from cube B.

What I need is to allocate the Park values ​​from cube B to cube C.
This dimension B is dimension 02.Functional_code that has 6863 items.
The following images illustrate cubes A, B, and C.
Having the two cubes in common the dimension A.

My target cube needs park information to do a simple calculation.
Ideally I would only allocate the park where it has VLR Total SG Liquidated information, but that would be the perfect world.
Doing the proportional calculation is not business friendly because there is a dimension in the model that is common to both cubes called 02.Familia_Budget which is like a cost center, not a cost center but just making an analogy for translate the granularity of the business, and each item of this dimension has a number of vehicles that need to be calculated according to the functional codes, existing in dimension 02. Functional Code. The functional code is a code linked to problems existing in vehicles, as problems arise, a functional code is created, so when allocating the park, it has to respect the budget family, because there will be cases that vehicles in the park are new (releases) and no problems related to the warranty of these vehicles have yet arisen.

Once again I apologize for the English and thank you for the answers.
Attachments
Target.png
Target.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
Source 2.png
Source 2.png (28.99 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
Source 1.png
Source 1.png (32.27 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Maybe generalising the problem might help?

I think you should probably be doing this with rules. Though you state you have already tried this and had an issue with the feeders, maybe your feeder was wrong?
As Lotsaram implied this does not mean that the main cube has to hold the number, it has to be able to reference it.

Lets say your simple calculation is

Revenue = Volume * Price

Price is a "rate" and is like your park value in that it is typically stored a cube with lower dimensionality than the volume.

So the rule for Revenue is

['Revenue'] = N:['Volume'] * DB('RateCube' , !D1 , etc, 'Price');

The feeder is
['Volume']=>['Revenue'];

At no point do you need to write a feeder from Price to Revenue.

If you want to show Price in your main cube then you back calculate it rather than writing a cross cube rule

This gives.

['Price'] = ['Revenue'] \ ['Volume'] ;

The feeder is
['Volume']=>['Revenue'], ['Price'];
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
aleferrer

Post by aleferrer »

Steve Rowe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am Maybe generalising the problem might help?

I think you should probably be doing this with rules. Though you state you have already tried this and had an issue with the feeders, maybe your feeder was wrong?
As Lotsaram implied this does not mean that the main cube has to hold the number, it has to be able to reference it.

Lets say your simple calculation is

Revenue = Volume * Price

Price is a "rate" and is like your park value in that it is typically stored a cube with lower dimensionality than the volume.

So the rule for Revenue is

The feeder is
['Volume']=>['Revenue'];

At no point do you need to write a feeder from Price to Revenue.

If you want to show Price in your main cube then you back calculate it rather than writing a cross cube rule

This gives.

['Price'] = ['Revenue'] \ ['Volume'] ;

The feeder is
['Volume']=>['Revenue'], ['Price'];

####################################XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX#######################################

Steve Rowe

Thanks for the answer.

The question of doing by rules does not work, as I have a step before where in a parameter cube I select a date range, company and expense channel. According to these parameters, my process goes in my source cubes and fetches this information. As these values, after simulated can not change, as a rule would not work, because the selection of the cube is by picklist and several simulations are made with different dates, companies and expense channel, making as a rule, I lose the dynamic concept of simulations, because the rule will always respect what was defined in the parameter.
Once again I appreciate the suggestions and apologize for not exposing the whole scenario of my problem.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Some testing you could do
1. The source with the 113770 records, how long does it take to export to a text file and does the text file just contain the records I think it should.
2. Activate different bits of the code to see where the performance hit is.

If it is the while loop and there is no rule based or MDX alternative then you might be stuck. It does feel like something is wrong but I'm not sure we have the whole picture.

One thought is it possible to use MDX to further limit the Level 0 subset of 02.Codigo_Funcional to exactly the intersections that are required?

FYI the condition in bold is no longer required since you have limited the loop to a Level 0 subset (I think), this should improve the performance. (If what you posted is really what you have written)...Note also that with the counter increase where it is you are skipping the first element in the subset.

vCounter = 1;
vMaxCounter = SubsetGetSize ('02.Codigo_Funcional','N0');
WHILE (vCounter <= vMaxCounter);

vCounter = vCounter + 1;

vVERSION,
vCENARIO,
MONTHS,
vANO,
vDATA_REFERENCE,
vCOD_MARCA,
vDATA_FIM_GARRANTY,
vCOD_MERCADO,
vECONOMIC GROUP,
vCOD_VERSAO,
vCOD_MODEL,
vCOD_FAMILIA,
vCOD_MVS,
vElement,
'QTD_VEI');
ENDIF;
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Those who post here are repeating themselves since they cannot be sure about what you changed and what not.

Nevertheless, I’m pretty sure you can only marginally reduce the processing time with the suggestions made here, including my own suggestions. The real gain can come from processing data in a parallel fashion rather than sequentially. Plenty of examples here on the forum in other threads.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024