Notifying the Admin Server

yingchai
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Notifying the Admin Server

Post by yingchai »

Hi we are currently running TM1 10.2.2 FP4 (64bit), Development - Planning Sample model

We are trying to test the latest version and having some issues.
Installation is successful, in single tier.
I was able to start the 'IBM Cognos TM1 Admin Server x64' and 'IBM Cognos TM1 Server - Planning Sample' service.
The Planning Sample model does not appear from Server Explorer after the above services are started.

The tm1server log shows the log below...

It keeps on stating 'notifying the admin server' like forever.

It does not reach to end of startup whereby the log states as --> TM1.Server TM1 Server is ready

Tried other sample models and it behaves the same way. May I know what configurations had I done wrong?

---
Update (29/8/16):

Some additional notes before this issue happened.
Prior to this, customer had performed server hardening and added certificate in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) keystore. This are the steps taken:

1. Navigate to D:\Program Files\IBM\Cognos\tm1_64\bin\jre\7.0\bin\ in Command Prompt.
2. Import Root certificate into the keystore.
keytool -import -alias root -file root.cer -keystore key.jks
3. Import Primary certificate into the keystore.
keytool -import -alias default -file primary.cer -keystore key.jks

I guess that these steps 'might' have caused this problem. So, I was trying to undo the SSL setup by turning off SSL for pmpsvc using the standard apache style configuration. Still not able to get the model up.

Steps:
1. Stop TM1 Application Server services.
2. Open service_pmpsvc.bat from bin64 folder using notepad.
3. Edit SSL=true to SSL=false under JMX_options section.
4. From CMD, run Service_pmpsvc.bat uninstall
5. From CMD, run Service_pmpsvc.bat install
* Detailed steps can be found here (posted by declanr) --> http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ole#p59058
---
Last edited by yingchai on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Re: Notifying the Admin Server

Post by Edward Stuart »

Looks similar to this thread:

http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6908

The long story short is:
I have gone through errors found and ini files etc and managed to resolve this. ended up being an SSL error to do with the old applix location, couldn't find applixca.pem
yingchai

Post by yingchai »

Thanks Edward for posting the old link.

But so far, I didn't change any Admin Server SSL settings. It is defaulted to applixca.pem file.

Hope some one can shed some light on how to troubleshoot this in detail.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

The old link contains plenty of detail of how to troubleshoot this issue. In case you did not read the thread and only viewed the solution this was a starter for ten
However here are some random thoughts:
- Is the Admin Server actually running?
- More to the point, is it running on the server that you have specified in the AdminHost parameter of your TM1S.cfg file?
- What are the port numbers of the various services that you have running?
- Is there any chance that you have duplicated port numbers somewhere?
- Is your client software specifying the correct Admin Host?
yingchai

Post by yingchai »

The old link indeed contains plenty of thoughts on how to troubleshoot the issue.
But in the end, the topic starter mentioned that it was due to SSL error.

The details in between does not contribute to the solution as I had gone through all of them :)
BrianL
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

yingchai wrote:Hi we are currently running TM1 10.2.2 FP4 (64bit), Development - Planning Sample model

While it's not clear what version you are attempting to test, the latest fixpack (10.2.2 FP6) has deprecated some older SSL algorithms by default and as such you will not be able to connect a FP4 TM1 Server instance to an FP6 Admin Server. The opposite should work fine though; an FP6 TM1 Server to an FP4 Admin Server.

References:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27048164
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27048181
yingchai

Post by yingchai »

BrianL wrote:
yingchai wrote:Hi we are currently running TM1 10.2.2 FP4 (64bit), Development - Planning Sample model

While it's not clear what version you are attempting to test, the latest fixpack (10.2.2 FP6) has deprecated some older SSL algorithms by default and as such you will not be able to connect a FP4 TM1 Server instance to an FP6 Admin Server. The opposite should work fine though; an FP6 TM1 Server to an FP4 Admin Server.

References:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27048164
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27048181
Thanks for the FP6 references.

Our customer had performed server hardening previously. Now, both the server and client platform is in the same fix pack (FP4).

Besides that, I had added some extra findings and updated them on the first post.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

:lol: :lol: :oops:
I just spent an hour debugging exactly this problem. Turns out I misspelt "loclhost". Happens to us all I guess.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

The extra steps you have outlined relate to disabling SSL on the application server - the issue you are seeing is between the TM1 server and Admin Server... this should be separate from the application server.
99 times out of 100 this is simply a port already being used or not being open between servers on the network. Have you tried a netstat to see if the port is being used?
Declan Rodger
yingchai

Post by yingchai »

declanr wrote:The extra steps you have outlined relate to disabling SSL on the application server - the issue you are seeing is between the TM1 server and Admin Server... this should be separate from the application server.
99 times out of 100 this is simply a port already being used or not being open between servers on the network. Have you tried a netstat to see if the port is being used?
Yeap. I had checked that the main ports are opened in the Application server itself. Currently, the TM1 Admin Server and TM1 Server services are sitting on the same box (Application server).
I had run netstat and it shows port 5498, 9300, 5010(TM1 Server model port), 12346(ClientMessagePortNumber) is being used. Had telnet those ports and it's not blocked. Only port 80 is blocked after client performed server hardening. What other ports still needed?

On the other server (Web server), the TM1 Application Server service is stopped as I was now focusing to get the TM1 model running in Perspective.
yingchai

Post by yingchai »

Right now, I am using the Planning Sample and XXX (client model) model for testing. The TM1 services (TM1 Admin Server and TM1 Server) are all residing in App server and I found some strange behaviour.

Scenario 1:
1. Stop all TM1 services.
2. Start TM1 Admin Server service.
3. Start TM1 Server – Planning Sample service.
4. Tm1server log for Planning Sample model shows ‘Notifying the Admin Server’.
5. Start TM1 Server – XXX service.
6. Tm1server log for XXX model shows ‘TM1 Server Ready’.

Scenario 2:
2. Start TM1 Admin Server service.
3. Start TM1 Server – XXX service.
4. Tm1server log for XXX model shows ‘Notifying the Admin Server’.
5. Start TM1 Server – Planning Sample service.
6. Tm1server log for Planning Sample model shows ‘TM1 Server Ready’.

The tm1s.cfg file for both model is using the same ports property (PortNumber=5010, ClientMessagePortNumber=12346). But the strange thing is only the model which started at the later time is able to show ‘TM1 Server Ready’ status.

Scenario 3:
2. Go to TM1 Cognos Configuration and delete Planning Sample TM1 Server. Now only the XXX model is started.
3. Start TM1 Admin Server service.
4. Restart TM1 Server – XXX service.
5. Tm1server log for XXX model shows ‘Notifying the Admin Server’.

I am not sure what are the issues that prevent the model to show as 'TM1 ready status' if only one TM1 Server model is started in server.
BrianL
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

yingchai wrote:The tm1s.cfg file for both model is using the same ports property (PortNumber=5010, ClientMessagePortNumber=12346). But the strange thing is only the model which started at the later time is able to show ‘TM1 Server Ready’ status.
This will NOT work. At best only one TM1 server will be able to startup if you're trying to start two instances configured with the same ports on the same machine. If you change the port numbers to be unique in each tm1s.cfg file does that resolve your problem?