RJ!
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

REST API based Webpages on VMWare

Post by RJ! »

Hi All,

We have been "requested" to move our Local (Physical) TM1 Environment from Australia to a VMware farm in North America.

At some stage, we'd like to develop some web pages that leverage the REST API and interact with TM1.
I'm not particularly familiar with VMware, is there anything stopping us having the Apache Tomcat running on this VMware instance along side TM1?

(I'm sure our own IT policy is likely to be more of a hindrance than the above, but just wanted to confirm)
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: REST API based Webpages on VMWare

Post by David Usherwood »

Vmware's virtualisation just gives you a machine running an OS. Subject to your IT rules (and you are implying your IT function is unhelpful - sadly not uncommon) you can install and run whatever you like.
I have to ask, though, why you are going the REST API route, when TM1 Web will probably deliver what you want without writing custom scripts.
Be aware, also, that IBM mandates installation of their appalling ILMT tool to monitor PVU usage when you run IBM software in a virtualised environment - see https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/comm ... ic%20Tool.
Installation and using ILMT is a contractually mandatory requirement for IBM clients licensed for IBM sub-capacity (also called virtualization capacity) products.
RJ!
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Re: REST API based Webpages on VMWare

Post by RJ! »

We wanted REST API as it's a sneaky way to get a complete Web App up & running without IT getting too nosy & push us off to more expensive Tech to host it (i.e Webshere/Weblogic + the servers to run them on).