Server Manager

Mithun.Mistry1103
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Server Manager

Post by Mithun.Mistry1103 »

Hello Guys

This is just a general enquiry. We tried to use the server manager shutdown function where we timed our instances to shut down at a specific time on one of the environments.
Now I have just looked at the logs and it shows that it shut down one of the instances that doesn't have any processes or chores but not the instances with chores and processes. I know this could be the reason because one of the chores kept running. Does this mean we would need to deactivate all the chores before we can shut down using server manager?

Would like your input and suggestions :)

Thank you
Regards
Mit

Admin Note: Moved to the correct forum. Please read http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=252 before posting in the Enhancements forum.
BariAbdul
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics, P
Version: PAW 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2019

Re: Server Manager

Post by BariAbdul »

Not entirely relevant but John Hammond's reply might help:
http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=27378
"You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying......"
Mithun.Mistry1103

hello BariAbdul
The stop service command tries to shut the TM1 service down in an orderly manner. However I believe that the stop service command has a time out and does not wait until the shutdown is complete.
This could have been the case as the time I had it to wait before shutdown was 25 hours but because some of the instances went down, I cant say it was a time out.
1. Is there a job running that means the condition to shut the server down never comes true in time? You could test this by running a long running job on a dummy server and see whether you can shut the service down while it runs.
The reason I had said it could be process.chore is because the chore was scheduled to run a process which ment that when the shutdown was scheduled, the chore was running. The chore was running a long process.

Thank you for your help BariAbdul. Appeciate your help :)

Regards
Mithun
BrianL
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

When asked to shutdown, TM1 will stop allowing new activity, wait for existing activity to complete, THEN shutdown. This way all changes have been made and written out to disk so you can startup later in the exact same state.

If you try to shutdown while a 25 hour long chore is running, what behavior do you actually expect?
Mithun.Mistry1103

Hello BrianL

The 25 hours was actually the time I scheduled for the shutdown. It wasnt the chore that was running 25 hrs.. although a chore was active when the shutdown was due to happen. Now I was thinking, if a shutdown had to take place, it would stop the process and shut down peacefully. or shutdown after the chore finished, neither of which happened.

Im just seeing what we could do if we wanted to schedule a shutdown of an instance?

:)

Regards
Mithun
BrianL
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2 PA2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by BrianL »

Mithun.Mistry1103 wrote:Now I was thinking, if a shutdown had to take place, it would stop the process and shut down peacefully. or shutdown after the chore finished, neither of which happened.
Strange. I've always seen the behavior that tm1 will shutdown after all pending activity has completed. If that's not what you're seeing, good luck.