Color Formats in TM1 Contributor

vinnusea
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Color Formats in TM1 Contributor

Post by vinnusea »

Hi,
Is there any way to Gray out cells in cube views for consolidations in contributor for actual QTR's with out adding 'Read' security

Our Scenario
We have TM1 sales forecast cube views used in contributor and inputs are done at product consolidation and they breakback to 0levels. WE have rules to push actuals from 'actuals' version to 'live plan' for only actuals QTR's and forecast QTR's are open for input. For users using cube views in perspectives the actual QTR's shows up as gray colors which is good. But contributor does'nt make actuals Gray because of rule, so we had to use }CellSecurity Cube to add additional 'Read' access to actual QTR's to make them Gray in contributor cube view in web.

Problem:
We have users have uncommitted data in Q1, Q2,Q3 and when a QTR rolls over and Q1 becomes actuals the security rule assign Read access to Q1. Now users have uncommitted data in Q1 which they don't have write access to and when they try to commit Q2,Q3 then they cannot.

Our workaround:
We are making them admin temporary and commit on their behalf (Or) we remove the security and commit on their behalf.

Is there any better way of doing this?.

Thanks,
Last edited by vinnusea on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks
Vinnusea
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Color Formats in TM1 Contributor

Post by declanr »

Use cell security to assign read access to those measures for certain periods but not others OR just use websheets then you can add the formatting you are speaking about without locking them out.
Declan Rodger
vinnusea

Post by vinnusea »

Thanks for the idea.
Problem with the websheet is we will lose the workflow.
We use cell security for only certain periods ( Actual periods) to make the product hierarchy consolidations to Read. The uncommitted data is sitting at consolidation level in product dim for actual QTR's which could not be committed.

Did i got your idea right about security?

Thanks,
Thanks
Vinnusea
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

vinnusea wrote:Thanks for the idea.
Problem with the websheet is we will lose the workflow.
Why would you? Your details say you are on 10.2; TM1 applications/contributor has supported websheets since 10.1

vinnusea wrote: We use cell security for only certain periods ( Actual periods) to make the product hierarchy consolidations to Read. The uncommitted data is sitting at consolidation level in product dim for actual QTR's which could not be committed.
Did i got your idea right about security?
The original description suggested that you couldn't have "read" security on something because in some instances the users need to be able to change the data; cell security lets you set read/write per cell so you can set it at any granularity you need. Standard approach is to attach a rule to the cell security cube to simplify things; TM1 Applications itself now uses cell security cubes so you need to be sure that it will all work together nicely.
Declan Rodger
vinnusea

Post by vinnusea »

Websheets;
Yes 10.2 supports websheets in contributor but i dont think we can copy and paste multiple inputs at consolidation level to use breakback functionality. This is the primary reason to use Tm1 cube views there. I know we can input at C level with spread prefix's but can't do for multiple cells. So spreadsheets is not an option.

CellSecurity:
May be i could not pass my idea well here. Let me try again.
To begin with we do not need cell security to add. For actual periods we have rules to stop users to input. But just to show them they are non-inputable cells (Gray) we added the cell security rule in rule file.

What we need:
Gray out cells for passed QTR's (Historicals) with out adding cellsecurity rules ( Which is causing commit issues )
Thanks
Vinnusea
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

vinnusea wrote:Websheets;
Yes 10.2 supports websheets in contributor but i dont think we can copy and paste multiple inputs at consolidation level to use breakback functionality. This is the primary reason to use Tm1 cube views there. I know we can input at C level with spread prefix's but can't do for multiple cells. So spreadsheets is not an option.
10.2 Websheets support automatic spreading just as cube views; you can copy and paste blocks of numbers into a consolidated cells to your hearts desire and they will be proportionally spread etc. Think it quoted this somewhere in the FAQ about 10.2 web changes.

Websheets are always the best (often the only option) when it comes to doing specific/custom highlighting etc. Of course cubeviews give you other functionality; particularly data analysis at a greater efficiency/capability but I find users generally prefer well developed websheets for reporting - as long as they are developed well you can give the users an extremely simple, clean and friendly way of contributing data to a model.
Declan Rodger
vinnusea

Post by vinnusea »

Websheets in contributor is a brilliant idea which gives us more flexibility and functionality by building active forms but only down side is dimension on rows missing subset editor which is crucial and making whole idea as a "No GO".
Hope IBM include subset editor in active forms through contributor as well.

-Thanks,
Thanks
Vinnusea
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

vinnusea wrote:but only down side is dimension on rows missing subset editor which is crucial
Then just put a SUBNM formula outside the active form area and point the TM1RPTROW formula there. I do this all the time to allow users to change the subset being used to generate the rows for a particular dimensions. Remember, this is Excel, you can do almost anything you want with it. Be creative, you aren't limited to just what the default active form presents you.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/