SaaS as a datasource

Martin Ingram
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: IBM SaaS - Digital Pack
Excel Version: Office 365

SaaS as a datasource

Post by Martin Ingram »

We're potentially embarking on a project to replace our ledger systems with a SaaS provider. Given that we'll have no access to the underlying database, data extracts will need to come via reports in CSV format.

Rather than this being a manual, 2 stage, process (ie Push from SaaS, then pull into TM1), I'd ideally like us to be able to initiate everything from TM1. This will require that we somehow fire a webservice from TI to trigger the production of the report on the SaaS solution.

Given the rising popularity of SaaS, has anyone encountered / solved this before? Any lessons learned or approach suggestions gratefully received :)
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7

Re: SaaS as a datasource

Post by jim wood »

You could run the TI via a TM1RunTI batch script and embed the extract call within it. Again this is only possible if you fire off an export command from outside SaaS. As you might have guessed I've personally not encountered this, I'm trying to think of options for you,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
nick_leeson
OLAP Product: TM1 9x, BPC, Hyperion, HANA
Version: TM1 10
Excel Version: Excel 2003 - 2010

Post by nick_leeson »

Your version is stated as 9.5.2 so options are quite limited. I can see many ways you could solve this problem .

1) Using Python trigger the export using the ExecuteCommand( 'python my.py , 1 )
2) Once the data is downloaded using TM1RunTI get the data into TM1.

You could use .NET To do the same thing or JAVA but that's heaps of lines of code.
pandinus
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by pandinus »

The easiest way to solve this would be by using the following setup:
  • Run a batch script from TI with parameters that sends a request to the SaaS provider to download the specified csv file. If you require powershell to send a more specific request (like username/password/output format/whatever) to the SaaS provider you can call Powershell command from a batch script.
  • Run another TI process (or call from the first process) with the downloaded file as data source and you're done.
Martin Ingram
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: IBM SaaS - Digital Pack

Post by Martin Ingram »

Thanks for the input guys; Had a couple more internal chats and we'll probably go down the Powershell route.

I'll post back when this is complete to advise how it went!