Diff between Cognos Analytics server and TM1 Server

HLEBOEUF
OLAP Product: TM1, SSAS
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2010

Diff between Cognos Analytics server and TM1 Server

Post by HLEBOEUF »

Hello,

Could someone clarify my what is the difference between Cognos Analytics Server and TM1 Server.
Might be that there is none and its just an evolving name but we are having issues with the invoices sent and even at IBM we can't get clarification.

We bought 6 years agou 2 TM1 licences with 200 users.

We are still getting invoices for this server but now also for Cognos Analytics Server.
This all srarted when Cognos went into IBM.

Please help ....
stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Re: Diff between Cognos Analytics server and TM1 Server

Post by stephen waters »

HLEBOEUF wrote:even at IBM we can't get clarification.
That does not surprise me at all. There are very few IBM ers who know about ( and evern fewer who understand) the historic licensing of TM1 and how it has changed. When the records were transferred via Cognos to IBM I recall many of our customers being told they had license for TI and TM1 Web but not for a TM1 server!

It does not help that, even with current licensing, IBM changes the descriptions regularly. Eg they used to call the TM1 server in Cognos Express the ICAS ( IBM Cognos Analytical Server) to pretend it was not TM1. NOw teh phrase is sometimes used to mean the Enterprise TM1 server.
HLEBOEUF wrote: We bought 6 years agou 2 TM1 licences with 200 users.
That was an interesting time as TM1 moved formally from Applix to Cognos ( Feb 2008?) and then from Cognos to IBM ( transfer of trade @ 1 Jan 2009). If I recall correctly, for a while the TM1 pricing was changed to reflect CP pricing and had no separate component ( even though you had rights to run the server!). Could be you bought it then.

The key thing is to look at the part numbers. If you are on legacy licensing I would expect the maintenance renewals to show part numbers such as
E06DDLL Legacy TM1 Server ( per instance)
E06DLLL Perspectives
E06DFLL Read\Write concurrent ports

If you are on current licensing I woudl expect to see
E08BCLL TM1 Analytical server (PVU basis)
E064ILL Performance Management User ( formerly TM1 Contributor)
E064GLL Performance Management Modeler ( formerly TM1 Modeler)