TM1 V10.1 Release; New features And issues

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: TM1 V10.1 Release; New features And issues

Post by Alan Kirk »

Trevor MacPherson wrote:Hmm... should have joined a long time ago - was a long time before anyone reported the rumor that CI needs admin rights to work with TM1.
CI does NOT require admin rights to work with TM1 - have posted more details in the analyticzone, but would rather not have the rumour float around.
I suspect that the claim came from someone getting their wires crossed between Cognos Insight and Performance Muddler. Given that the user interface is as intuitive as "the icon that kinda looks like the other icon" it's not a hard mistake to make.

That having been said, it's worth re-reading QML and David Usherwood's posts on the issue with regard to what does and doesn't work.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Trevor MacPherson wrote:CI does NOT require admin rights to work with TM1 - have posted more details in the analyticzone, but would rather not have the rumour float around.
The administrator just needs to set up and application, and the users entering via the application portal will be able to author their own workspaces (Central application), or be restricted to the admin's view of the world in the case of Reponsibility & Approval apps.
A Central application should only take a few moments to deploy for the admin, after which, only user rights are necessary, and their permissions are respected in the client - they just need to launch from the portal.
Hi Trevor, I think the point was not that CI does not work as a TM1 client, obviously it does, but ONLY as a client of a managed planning application. I believe the point people have made, which as far as I am aware is still valid, is that CI does not work as a regular cube viewer client unless the user is admin. Therefore CI is still for all intents and purposes useless as a cube viewer replacement, which is something that is sorely needed. The perspectives and architect UIs are for want of a better word, outdated. A cube viewer with formatting and charting possibilities is something the reseller, developer and administrator communities have been wanting for a very long time. People hoped this would happen when Applix acquired Temtec and EV would be embedded as a cube viewer client, but it never did. There is some hope that CI might finally provide this long needed functionality.

Although setting up and deploying an application might be "quick" there are quite a few constraints that this imposes that can make this undesirable or impossible. Therefore being able to simply save and send a cdd file with central server connection or simply use CI as a replacement for server explorer for non admins would be a much better solution. Hopefully the product will get to a point where performance and stability allow this to happen. (by constraints think things like contribution dimension, limitation of single hierarchy, unable to re-use the dimension in another application, the security model getting messed up, etc.)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

lotsaram wrote:or simply use CI as a replacement for server explorer for non admins would be a much better solution.
Don't give them ideas. Supplement, maybe. But given the performance of CI and PM compared to the lightweight, antiquated perhaps but still more nimble and reliable legacy applications like Client (without even getting into the issue of Excel integration) I'm in no way in a hurry to see the latter go away any time soon. Until the design team gets out of the headspace that graphics and icons and swiping and swooshing are more important than performance, I don't want these guys replacing anything.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Trevor MacPherson
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: None

Post by Trevor MacPherson »

Lotsaram wrote: by constraints think things like contribution dimension, limitation of single hierarchy, unable to re-use the dimension in another application, the security model getting messed up, etc.
...the reason I always point existing customers to "Central" applications first - there is no "approval hierarchy" or replacement of security on the dimension it uses, no restriction on re-use of views, etc...
For all intents and purposes, it is exactly what you get when you point at a server instance, except you can limit the objects to a specific collection. Having used applications in 9.5.1->, a lot of people associate them with restrictive, managed planning applications a la Enterprise Planning. That changed with 10.1, and you should find the Central application type doesn't add much, if any pain, to offer users.
Alan Kirk wrote:Until the design team gets out of the headspace that graphics and icons and swiping and swooshing are more important than performance, I don't want these guys replacing anything.
In the interest of full disclosure, and because I love painting concentric white and red circles on my back, - I am one of "these guys" (not the design team exactly, but PM's are even more culpable for the experience)... but I have to agree on one point. Performance is one of the most important parts of any technology solution (I used to work in software support, so stability and maintenance are up there for me as well). It is the reason I advocate the distributed architecture that gives me local data - if I have to watch spinning hourglasses and progress bars, just because I'm on VPN instead of in the office (at midnight, when I'm even happier to be sat at my laptop), I start to resemble Yosemite Sam on a failed rabbit hunting excursion.

Insight is built for the distributed architecture (yes, it works in connected mode as well, but not with the same performance you get from distributed) - and in the first release of it, the distributed architecture doesn't support those central applications that are easiest to spin off from an existing TM1 model. I recognize that this creates a gulf between the kind of experience you want for existing models, and what you actually get, but my first priority was supporting massive numbers of users contributing to high participation planning exercises - with that well in hand now, it may be that we can improve other areas. If we didn't think of what performance and stability would look like when you've used rules on the attribute control cube referenced from the expression you've defined your subset with, well, those brilliant customizations will hopefully all make their way into a test regimen. Of course, when someone has a great comparison for performance like "this view comes back in perspectives in 2 seconds and in Insight in 30 seconds", I would love to hear about it to help further that.

... and don't worry - no one is replacing anything yet. I'll suggest anyone who proposes such a thing spend a few months hanging out in this forum to boost their ego... ;)
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

Hi Trevor
I would really like to use insight as a front end for an application I'm developing and tried the central application suggestion (very simple application, 2 views both from the same cube) but it won't deploy! There's some error about invalid annotation context.
CentralAppErr.png
CentralAppErr.png (44.4 KiB) Viewed 7860 times
Any suggestions? There is one CellAnnotations cube in the model but it's not part of the application and I already checked the cube and made sure it was cleared just in case.
TomaszB
Version: 9.5.2 10.1.1 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2003 2010

Post by TomaszB »

lotsaram wrote:Hi Trevor
I would really like to use insight as a front end for an application I'm developing and tried the central application suggestion (very simple application, 2 views both from the same cube) but it won't deploy! There's some error about invalid annotation context.
CentralAppErr.png
Any suggestions? There is one CellAnnotations cube in the model but it's not part of the application and I already checked the cube and made sure it was cleared just in case.
Hi Lotsaram,

Check this technote.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21605744

Problem(Abstract)
While trying to deploy a TM1 Performance Modeler application an user gets an error; "TM1 is initialized with an unsupported annotation context! error.

Cause
The problem is caused by a corrupted TM1 model. A dimension called }AnnotationAppContextFacets ,that is essential to execute publishing of an application, is missing and is not created automatically during TM1 Performance Modeler startup.

Solution

1. Create a new TurboIntegrator Process,
2. Paste the code into in the prolog tab:

Code: Select all

If (DimensionExists('}AnnotationAppContextFacets') <> 0); 
DimensionDestroy('}AnnotationAppContextFacets'); 
EndIf; 
DimensionCreate('}AnnotationAppContextFacets'); 
DimensionElementInsert('}AnnotationAppContextFacets', '', 'application', 'S'); 
3. Save and run the TurboIntegrator process to recreate the }AnnotationAppContextFacets dimension.

The deployment in TM1 Performance Modeler should work correctly after completing all those steps.

Cheers
Tom
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

Thanks Tom, fixed the problem you da man.
dpusch
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by dpusch »

I'm having the same problem with Google Chrome that David mentioned before: "However the Insight options ask to download and install CognosInsight.msi and this fails to complete."
Is there anybody that knows how to correct this issue ? I got Insight already installed on the client, but browser still keep asking for installation.

Best regards !
Trevor MacPherson
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: None

Post by Trevor MacPherson »

Sorry dpusch - we didn't support provisioning/launching via Chrome in the currently available releases - http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27021976
(this may have been why we didn't)

This isn't a great answer, but there are a couple of options:

Use a different browser (if you aren't religious about which browser...)
Use "Connect To" (if you are admin)
Open an existing "connected" .cdd file sent by the admin

I'm guessing you are admin, but I've added the last on the assumption you may have users on Chrome, you can just save a connected file and send it to them... I also mention it to further emphasize that CI is fine for those with "user" permissions, with any data that has been proxied to them in some way via administrator - either as an application, or as a "connected" .cdd file.

if they are going to be "distributed" users, they need a different browser - even if they only use it once and save their .cdd file, in the existing 10.2 & 10.2.1 releases, we only come via FF & IE, and it is impossible to pass around "distributed" .cdd files - quite on purpose.

Cheers,
Trev