Perspectives slow startup and login vs Architect

John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Perspectives slow startup and login vs Architect

Post by John Hammond »

We are finding Perspectives to be much slower at starting up and connecting to a TM1 server when compared to architect.

We are comparitively new to TM1 and thus are unsure whether these figures are acceptable or if we are doing something wrong when we are using Perspectives.

Here are our timings:

TM1 Architect

Start menu to first display of list of 6 available servers 3s
Choose a server and login 0.5

TM1 Perspectives

Start menu to macro prompt within excel 1s
Macro prompt to Excel with additional toolbar showing 6 possible TM1 servers. 4s
Click on connect to tm1 server in toolbar to obtain login dropdown showing 6 possible servers 7s
Choose a server and login 5s

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could let us know if these figures are typical or if we need to investigate further.

It is quite worrying that it takes 10 times as long to login on perspectives as architect! (5s vs 0.5s)

Any assistance appreciated.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Perspectives slow startup and login vs Architect

Post by Steve Vincent »

that option of logging in via the "network ... connect" functionality has always been much slower, although i never bothered to find out why. Try connecting by opening the server explorer (TM1 menu in excel / server explorer) and doing it that way - you'll see the performance is then more like the Architect :)
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
George Regateiro
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

I know there was some posts on the login speeds through Excel a while back in the forum.

Though I have never timed it, there always has been a speed differnce in all of the versions I have worked on. This is probably a result of having go through extra overhead from running as an excel add in and the different code that would be required.
John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Post by John Hammond »

Thanks Steve and George

George you are right - there were some other posts where others experienced the same issue.

Architect seems to go tcp/ip direct to the Server whereas Perspectives is using the WebServer IIS. Tomcat etc (ours is IIS) so it will always run more slowly.