Changes in xdi not flowing through

telula

Changes in xdi not flowing through

Post by telula »

Hello,
I made changes to the xdi file through this method.
1.Log into the server itself.
2.Log into TM1
3.Click the Dimension Open icon
4.Make the changes to the attribute of a particular element
5.Click F9
6.Click Dimension Save

However, when I view it the attribute is still showing the old value. Do I need to restart the service?Or have I missed a step somewhere?
belair22
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express
Version: 9.5 9.4 9.1 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2007 2003

Re: Changes in xdi not flowing through

Post by belair22 »

.xdi files aren't generally used for changing element attributes. Their main function is to add/remove Elements/Consolidations in a given dimension.

Do you have references to DBSA functions in your .xdi files?
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

I don't think it would be that uncommon to reference attributes in an XDI with DBRA functions. Where the dimension is maintained manually the ability to edit dimension structure and attributes side by side is one of the nice things about dimension worksheets.

However as belair22 has mentioned the purpose and reason for being of an XDI is not actually to edit attributes but the dimension structure itself. So what exactly were you changing? If no change to any values in columns A, B or C were made then there will be no change to the dimension structure. If changes were made in columns to the right of C then those changes will not be reflected in TM1 unless values have been written to a TM1 cube with DBRA, DBSA, DBR(W), DBS(W) or DBSS ...
telula

Post by telula »

Yes I do have DBSA formulas on columns to the right of Column C.And I was trying to change the attributes through the DBSA formulas. It worked the first time i added the attribute values but doesnt seem to work with changes now.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi,

are you updating aliases? In that case please note that alias values need to be unique - you can't have two elements with the same alias and you can't have an element with name of another element as it's alias.
If you try to set a conflicting alias, the DBSA function refuses without a warning.

Michel
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

I have frequently tripped over an attribute problem when using xdi files, namely that every element is generally named twice. First of all as an N or C element, but then second of all as a component of some other consolidation.

It is quite possible to have a DBSA next to both (or more if you have multiple hierarchies) instances of the element name, and it's also quite possible that each DBSA is sending a different value. So what I would suspect is happening is that your first DBSA is sending the correct value, then there's another DBSA lurking somewhere in your xdi file that is sending up the wrong/old/blank value.

So a couple of suggestions: only do DBSA where an element is defined as N C or S. Do not send attributes where the element is defined as part of a consolidation. Second suggestion is not to use F9. if you have another sheet or workbook that is writing somewhere then this will also be calculated. With TM1 you almost always be using Shift+F9 to calculate the current sheet only. Hitting F9 should be done with caution.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer