Intercube, attribute-based feeder for consolidated value?

luqasshh
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Intercube, attribute-based feeder for consolidated value?

Post by luqasshh »

Hello!

So I have two cubes, CompanyCube and GroupCube with following dimensions:

CompanyCube:
Currency
Version
Account
Period
Company
Measures

GroupCube
Currency
Version
Account
Period
CompanyGroup
Measures

Company dimension is a very large hierarchical structure and CompanyGroup is a flat dimension.

So basically the dimensions are common for both cubes except Company/CompanyGroup.

The data is transferred from GroupCube to CompanyCube by attribute, with the following rule in CompanyCube:

[] = IF( Dtype('Company',!Company ) @= 'C', DB('GroupCube', !Currency, !Version, !Account, !Period, ATTRS('Company',!Company,'Company Code'), !Measures), Continue);

The question is... how can I write a feeder for this rule? Values for rule-derived cells are calculated correctly, but I don't see values on higher levels of "Company" dimension just like the children weren't fed, but all the children of those missing values are rule-derived consolidation. I know that writing a feeder for a consolidated value is like writing a feeder for all its children which I guess won't work in this scenario, right?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Intercube, attribute-based feeder for consolidated value?

Post by David Usherwood »

Interesting that your subject answers your question :) - you need an attribute which connects the N level of Company to CompanyGroup (since feeders work from the N level). How you populate it depends on your structures - it may be small enough to maintain manually, or you may have the metadata somewhere else to use. Don't use ELPAR unless your dimension will always have only one parent everywhere.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Just remember to re-feed if you update attributes - a change in attribute value will not re-fire a feeder in my experience.
luqasshh

Post by luqasshh »

you need an attribute which connects the N level of Company to CompanyGroup (since feeders work from the N level)
You are talking about my "Company code" attribute? I have it populated.

I'm just not sure how to write a feeder, i.e. reference to current element from another cube. Here's what I came up with:

In the GroupCube:

Code: Select all

skipcheck;

feeders;
[]=>DB(IF(!CompanyGroup @=ATTRS('Company',!Company,'Company Code'),'CompanyCube',''),!Currency,!Version,!Account,!Company,!Period, !CompanyGroup, !Measures);
Of course above won't work because there is no "Company" dimension in GroupCube.

Or maybe I got something wrong. It is my first conditional, intercube feeder, so apologize if that's just dumb
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

luqasshh wrote: The data is transferred from GroupCube to CompanyCube by attribute, with the following rule in CompanyCube:

[] = IF( Dtype('Company',!Company ) @= 'C', DB('GroupCube', !Currency, !Version, !Account, !Period, ATTRS('Company',!Company,'Company Code'), !Measures), Continue);
I see why you are attempting this but let me caution you that there will likely be unintended consequences of structuring it this way. Leaving off the N: designation in your rule means that every cell in the ComnpanyCube will be calculated via pulling in numbers from the GroupCube, ignoring any consolidations in the CompanyCube. Depending on how you are using the CompanyCube that may be OK but if you have other data in that cube, besides what is coming in from the GroupCube then you are going to be hosed.

The better solution, IMO, is to have leaf elements in the Company dimension you can pull these values into, even if they are just dummy elements to hold the totals coming from the GroupCube. They can be fed easily and then your consolidations in the CompanyCube will work since you can apply the rule to leaf elements, not consolidated ones.

Alternatively, you could add a source dimension to the CompanyCube so you could isolate your rule to only those values coming in from the GroupCube.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
luqasshh

Post by luqasshh »

Thank you for your response.

The solution I presented is what I found "as-is" when joining my company some time ago. For both cubes there is already large reporting solution in place, so unfortunately there can't be any changes done in terms of design of cubes. Adding elements is also not possible as I already had told my colleagues if adding dummy elements to the company dimension would do the trick.

I'm not looking for complete solution for a Copy-Paste method, really :) I just thought that someone might give me a little help or suggestion on how to write a feeder for the design I already have.

Again, thank you very much in advance
luqasshh

Post by luqasshh »

Can anyone give me some advice on how to write this feeder?

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated!