TM1 Midmarket vs Enterprise

qmckain

TM1 Midmarket vs Enterprise

Post by qmckain »

Hi, Could someone give me the main differences between TM1 Midmarket and TM1 Enterprise.

I.e max users (I am told 50, plus 5 standard), 64 bit or 32 bit, qualify for Development server, etc.

Thanks.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: TM1 Midmarket vs Enterprise

Post by Alan Kirk »

qmckain wrote:Hi, Could someone give me the main differences between TM1 Midmarket and TM1 Enterprise.

I.e max users (I am told 50, plus 5 standard), 64 bit or 32 bit, qualify for Development server, etc.

Thanks.
First, welcome to the new Forum!

I'm not sure where you're getting those names from, though, unless they're just names that your local Iboglix branch is using for particular packages for the sake of convenience.

It used to be that you'd purchase a licence for a specific number of concurrent users. In our case, for example, we boight a 50 concurrent user licence. We could set up as many users as we wanted, but only 50 could be logged in at the one time. We also needed a separate licence for the development server which had, IIRC, 3 concurrent users.

64 bit came with a different licence which, natrurally, cost more.

However last year Applix (as it then was) moved to a named user licencing system. That is, you buy a specific number of licences which you can assign to particular users. You can run as many sessions of TM1 as you want (production / development, etc) but you are limited to allowing access to only the number of people that you've bought licences for.

The new model is in some ways a little more flexible than the older one, in that you can add on user licences incrementally as you need them.

If you work out the three key issues of what you need, that is:
- 64 bit or 32 bit?
- Total number of likely users
- Whether you need :twisted: Web :twisted: or EV or not

your Iboglix sales rep should be able to design you a package that will suit your needs... whether it suits your budget depends on how much you can haggle.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
qmckain

Post by qmckain »

Hi Alan and thanks for the prompt reply.

The names are coming from Cognos. Our Cognos rep is trying to sell us TM1 Enterprise, however from what I can understand, TM1 Mid Market is basically the same but has restrictions on the maximum amount of users you can licence. Other than that, both products are essentially the same from what I can understand. Just wondering if anyone else thinking of buying TM1 through Cognos has had similar experiences.

Thanks.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

They're trying to appeal to the Small Medium Enterprises (SME) market more with the MidMarket offering. What it possibly is is a capped number of users, a limited number of dimensions, limited number of cubes and a limited number of elements in the dimension. Possibly just the wizard version of TI rather than the whole thing too.

I'd suggest you ask some specific questions around that.

If that does turn out to be the case then it sounds like PowerOLAP has had a real impact, as that's what their model is.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

qmckain wrote:Hi Alan and thanks for the prompt reply.

The names are coming from Cognos. Our Cognos rep is trying to sell us TM1 Enterprise, however from what I can understand, TM1 Mid Market is basically the same but has restrictions on the maximum amount of users you can licence. Other than that, both products are essentially the same from what I can understand. Just wondering if anyone else thinking of buying TM1 through Cognos has had similar experiences.

Thanks.
It won't be a technical restriction, you can be sure of that (restrictions like that were effectively removed when Cognos bought Applix); it may be a restriction of the licence package though. You can be pretty certain that if you later wanted to move to "TM1 Enterprise" they'd be happy to oblige you, though you'd probably need to pay through the nose for it. (Which is why it'd be better to sort out what you need now so that you can negotiate the best deal you can.)

This Forum's only new and most of the users will already have package licences so you may not get much in the way of answers just yet. There's an older Forum controlled by Iboglix (you'd need to have an account created by Iboglix, you can't just join it the way you can here); some of the users over there may have gone through licence purchases more recently and have some answers. I'll post your question over there; if there are any responses one of us will bring them over here for you.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
qmckain

Post by qmckain »

Thanks Martin, I will certainly be directing some questions to our Cognos rep regarding the points you have raised. There is basically no information on their website regarding the differences.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

...and why am i not surprised by that? :lol:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote:This Forum's only new and most of the users will already have package licences so you may not get much in the way of answers just yet. There's an older Forum controlled by Iboglix (you'd need to have an account created by Iboglix, you can't just join it the way you can here); some of the users over there may have gone through licence purchases more recently and have some answers. I'll post your question over there; if there are any responses one of us will bring them over here for you.
FYI, this was posted by Stephen Waters on the old Forum:
The Mid Market Edition (MME) is indeed a bundle, comprising "IBM Cognos TM1 database server"\TI\TM1 Web\Executive Viewer plus 5 users. Can be either 32 or 64 bit but is limited to 4 processor cores. I am not sure of pricing in Asia Pac but in UK it is a very good price, much less than previous price for a bare 5 port server and adding additional users is much cheaper than before as well.

From the presentations here in Las Vegas this fits the Cognos 2 prong strategy
- sell standalone TM1 as MME to mid sized businesses
- integrate TM1 with Cognos 8, Planning etc to sell as a more complete offering for larger organisations.
-----------