Gah...View display issues

Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Gah...View display issues

Post by Steve Rowe »

I'm having a real weird problem which I just can't get to the bottom of and it is really beginning to wind me up now :cry:

Maybe someone will have experienced it…

I have a 14d cube, the last dim being a measure dim with some string elements in it.

The cube behaves exactly as I would expect, except for one specific set of circumstances.

When I drag the dimension that is the 2nd dimension in the cube down to the rows or columns then the server takes so long to build the view that I have to cancel it. This dimension has around 30 elements in it and there several dimensions that do work where I have many more elements.

This only happens when rules are applied to the cube.

The rule is (by now) very simple [‘test’]=1; whenever any dimension other than the one I have the problem with is a row or column then the cube behaves itself and I get a response very quickly.

I’ve deleted and rebuilt the cube, both through SE and in TI. Same for the dimension.

I have a copy of the cube that works all the time with more complex rules which I have copied into my problem environment. This fails too.

The working environment are running the same version of TM1 9.5.20203.24391 (952 FP2 HF3).

Cfg files have the same switches.

I’ve run the issue past several colleagues who are stumped.
Any thoughts?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Gah...View display issues

Post by declanr »

This is a long shot as I would expect it to not compile but the element names in that dim aren't in some way ambiguous in tm1 terms are they?
Declan Rodger
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Your second weird issue in less than a month, sounds like you're really pushing things up there!

I don't have any useful suggestions but wonder if you have the same problem if you build the cube with a different order of dimensions?

The only difference I can think of in making a dimension a row/column header is that the formatting is pulled from the column dimension, then (if none is found there) the rows, then the title dimension. Though I have no idea how formatting would cause an issue like this unless it's rule derived in a cackhanded fashion.

Would it be possible to post a mini model as an attachment? Or perhaps email me a copy, I think my NDA with your employers is still valid.

Otherwise I'll be interested to hear the reason if you ever discover it.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Gregor Koch
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, CX
Version: 9.0 and up
Excel Version: 2007 and up

Post by Gregor Koch »

Steve Rowe wrote:I have a 14d cube, the last dim being a measure dim with some string elements in it. Any thoughts?
This is a very long shot as well but are the dimensions exactly the same on the servers e.g. the (2nd) dimension in question has a sneaky String element in it?
I had a weird one before where there were String elements in two dimensions in the cube and as soon as you'd play around with views on it the server would crash. This was on an earlier version, though.
Even if you use the same cube file, different dimensions could (again, very long shot) be the source of the problem.
How many elements do the other dimensions have?
Steve Rowe wrote:The rule is (by now) very simple [‘test’]=1;
I take it you have Skipcheck; and Feeders; in your test rule, I doubt a 14 dim cube without it would do much for you, no matter which dimension you choose to be on rows or columns? If yes, how do you feed the rule? In which dimension is 'test'?

Cheers
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

There are no skipchecks and cube behaves just fine without them except for when this one specific dimension is on the the r /c.
I've already tested with skipcheck and unfed in place and the issue still occurs.
Thanks for the long shots, keep them coming one of you might hit the target!

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

Hi Steve,

I have a few question. I have no idea if any of them will turn up anything relevant though :-

Do any of the dimensions have hierarchical structure, and if so which has what?

If any of the dimensions have hierarchical structure are the selected title elements leaf or consolidated, and if consolidated, with how many leaf descendants?

When you are in the view with the difficult dimension on titles what subset, if any, is used for it (available in the drop-down).

What other measures are there apart from 'test' and are they displayed in the view?

Could we have a list of the 14 dimension sizes?

What non-default TM1S.CFG settings do you have on this server, if any?

Did you clear out all your BLB files when you copied across from your working environment?

Do you have any dynamic default subsets on any of your dimensions?

Thanks,
Duncan.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks Duncan,

Do any of the dimensions have hierarchical structure, and if so which has what?
They all have hierarchies of some form in them, some multiple and 4 or 5 deep, nothing I would consider large though.

If any of the dimensions have hierarchical structure are the selected title elements leaf or consolidated, and if consolidated, with how many leaf descendants?
Title elements are all the default picked by SE when the view opened, usually the top C level I think. No sved subsets or views used at anypoint.

When you are in the view with the difficult dimension on titles what subset, if any, is used for it (available in the drop-down).
Its when the dimension is on rows and columns that I have the problem, when it is on the titles then it is a C and everything works.

What other measures are there apart from 'test' and are they displayed in the view?
4 string elements, all displayed and un populated on columns.

Could we have a list of the 14 dimension sizes?
No....but there is nothing speical I think

What non-default TM1S.CFG settings do you have on this server, if any?
None (anymore)and also the cfg is the same as environment where the same build works.

Did you clear out all your BLB files when you copied across from your working environment?
Yes
Do you have any dynamic default subsets on any of your dimensions?
No.

Actually you can all consider this closed, I've reached the point where I'm going to have to build things differently and can't waste anymore of time on this.

Thanks for everyones efforts....
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk