Period Dimension idle time

Ross

Period Dimension idle time

Post by Ross »

We would like to lock down periods prior to the current period which have been idle for more than 10 minutes.

Has anyone implemented something similar or know whether it is possible to determine idle time for dimensions?

Many thanks
Ross
Chengooi
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Re: Period Dimension idle time

Post by Chengooi »

how about :

when VPeriods,idle =>600 (10 min)
{VPeriods < Current MMM-YY , lock}

Let me know if it works!! :lol:
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894-1962)
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Ross, Chengooi, I don't believe you will find any way to do this.
TM1 logs data changes but they go to flat files and no programmatic access is provided to that (I wish there were).
Performance Monitor tracks activity by minute but not by dimensions. It does by cube, but it would be hard to work with that.
Chengooi, your code is a long way from being workable TI code - your keywords and constructs are not supported.

It's possible that both of you are talking about a different tool and did not intend to post to the TM1 forum. If so, I'd be interested to know what Ross was thinking about.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply David. It's definitely TM1 that I'm referring to. The reason for the Dimension idle time lock idea is that we have 4 users with admin access (not ideal I know) so we need to ensure that if someone writes to a period, for forecasts as an example, that it is closed so that another user cannot accidently write to the same period when they shouldn't.

By using an idle time function this would lock the period if the user forgot to do so.

Regards
Ross
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

You're maybe trying to be too clever, perhaps schedule chore that runs every X minutes and locks all periods? This way you are safe and your users can unlock their periods as required.

Sounds like the roles in your organisation are a bit mixed up, as you said far from ideal. IMO admin access should be restricted to people updating security and meta data at the most, ordinary data updates should be handled by end-users and the security of this managed using the READ / WRITE level security.

You could be trying to solve the symptoms of your problem, it's probably going to easier to solve your organisational issues than get the kind of functionality you are talking about.

Cheers,
Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

Ross,

I have to agree with Steve. From what you describe it sounds like your TM1 system might be poorly designed/set-up as there are other and better ways to manage security and writing data. It might be worth your while to have your system "health checked."
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com