Architect not displaying all options from right menu (9.5.2)

abcuser
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 0

Architect not displaying all options from right menu (9.5.2)

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have installed TM1 server v9.5.2 64-bit on Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit. I have also installed Architect from 32-bit installation file. I created new folder in C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Custom\TM1Data path, set some settings in tm1s.cfg and created Windows service.

I have run an Architect and login with default admin user (without password) and now I tried to create some simple cube, just to test if TM1 server (installation) is working properly. But when clicking right mouse button on Processes, Cubes and Chores and nothing happens. In v9.5.0 there was a drop-down menu displayed and I could select "Create Process", "Create Cube" etc. Have I missed something? Do I need to configure some settings?

Regards
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Architect not displaying all options from right menu (9.

Post by jim wood »

The only thing I can think of is that either your installation is corrput or the data directory set in your cfg doesn't exist. I would start with the later and try to fix the former by repairing your install,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Mike Cowie
Site Admin
OLAP Product: IBM TM1/PA, SSAS, and more
Version: Anything thru 11.x
Excel Version: 2003 - Office 365

Post by Mike Cowie »

Hi:

Is it possible Architect is not seeing the Perspectives license file (TM1P8.LIC) anywhere and is loading as the TM1 Client version? You should be able to find TM1P8.LIC in the 32-bit's Bin folder (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Cognos\TM1\Bin\) and, if you copy that to the Windows folder on this machine and completely close and re-open Architect you may see those additional menus reappear.

I haven't kept up with IBM's licensing requirements/schemes, but historically you had a limited number of users who were allowed/licensed to run the full Perspectives/Architect client, which is why it probably did not come up as the full blown client by default.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

@jim wood, if have copied *.pro (process) files from v9.5.0 (from old hardware) to this v9.5.2 directory (new hardware), restarted TM1 server and I can see copied processes in Architect.

@Mike Cowie, I have copied TM1P8.LIC to C:\Windows and restarted Architect and now I can see everything that was missing. Thanks a lot, problem solved. I am just curious, why is this license file needed in C:\Windows directory? I just don't remember (and there is no info in my precisely written notes when I have installed installing v9.5.0) this copying is needed. Is there any official document that states I need to copy this file.

Thanks a lot for help.
Mike Cowie
Site Admin
OLAP Product: IBM TM1/PA, SSAS, and more
Version: Anything thru 11.x
Excel Version: 2003 - Office 365

Post by Mike Cowie »

abcuser wrote:@Mike Cowie, I have copied TM1P8.LIC to C:\Windows and restarted Architect and now I can see everything that was missing. Thanks a lot, problem solved. I am just curious, why is this license file needed in C:\Windows directory? I just don't remember (and there is no info in my precisely written notes when I have installed installing v9.5.0) this copying is needed. Is there any official document that states I need to copy this file.
Hi:

I usually default to that Windows location because I know it works. I think once the TM1 client application sees that license file it may copy it to a different location like C:\ProgramData\Applix\TM1 (Windows 7). Obviously, if it's in either location, any user accessing TM1 Architect on this machine will have the license in place.

I don't think it copies this license to individual user profile folders (e.g., %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Applix\TM1, which is where other TM1 client settings files get stored), and I'm not sure what would happen if you did that and whether it would let you selectively give access to this license/full version only for certain users on that machien. I would guess not, but haven't tried.

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!
moby91
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

abcuser wrote:@Mike Cowie, I have copied TM1P8.LIC to C:\Windows and restarted Architect and now I can see everything that was missing. Thanks a lot, problem solved. I am just curious, why is this license file needed in C:\Windows directory? I just don't remember (and there is no info in my precisely written notes when I have installed installing v9.5.0) this copying is needed. Is there any official document that states I need to copy this file.
The technical aspect of TM1 Client vs TM1 Perspectives, being TM1 Client plus the TM1 Perspectives license file tm1p8.lic, is outlined in multiple IBM Technotes, for instance:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg21419299
Licensing in TM1 Version 9.5

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg21419930
TM1 Architect Admin users admin options greyed out even when it is a valid Admin user

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg21469228
TM1 Server Security Clients/Groups option is missing

But there is also a contractual aspect you should keep in mind:
The TM1 Perspectives license file tm1p8.lic is not free as in "free beer".
Quite in contrast, you have to purchase it, for instance by buying some TM1 Modeler licenses.
So check your TM1 license contract on how many TM1 Perspectives you can run. If in doubt, contact your IBM sales rep.
Otherwise it might get expensive should you ever have the pleasure to host a license audit.
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

Thanks a lot for links and help. It looks like this is the "mess" that becomes into existence in 64-bit systems. Why? (If I understand correctly!) When I installed v9.5.0 32-bit TM1 server software (on another hardware a year ago) then I installed using a typical installation. All of the software (probably including license files) were stored and installed successfully. There was no need of coping some license files to any directory.

But now when installing v9.5.2 64-bit there is only "server" part of the software available in 64-bit version. But I would also like to install TM1 Architect (which is only available in 32-bit installation package) on the same server. To do this the custom installation must be selected and installing only a client. According to the first link provided by moby91 there is an info:

Code: Select all

In contrast, if you do a custom install and select to install TM1 Version 9.5.0 Client only, no TM1 Perspectives license file tm1p8.lic will be installed.