BI Reporting From TM1

tryinghard
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

BI Reporting From TM1

Post by tryinghard »

I am trying to do reporting in BI using a cube in TM1. I have created the FM model; however the structure of the cube is entierly different from a regular DMR, for instance I do not see multiple levels in the hierarchy, I just see the Member hierarchy, so for instance I have to select just level 2, then I have to select all the members of level 2 individually, rather than the level.

Is there any document or best practices for reporting from TM1?

Thanks
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: BI Reporting From TM1

Post by PlanningDev »

Take a look in the guides that come with TM1. There is a control cube called }HierarchyProperties. You have to name the different levels in there before the dimensions will show in BI as levels. Also, you need to have the measure dimension specified for the cube. Right click the cube and select properties and set the measure dimension.
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

Thank you planning dev and apologies for such a delayed response. The solution worked in the report studio; however, I faced a problem there. If there are 3 levels in a hierarchy i.e. level 0(lowest), level 1 and level 2. The hierachy is uneven i.e. few members in level 1 have members under it in level 0 and few members in level 1 are the lowest members. Now if I want to pull data for all the leaf members (which maybe in level 0 or level), then how do I do it. If I pull level 0 then it returns only the itmes in level 0.

In the hierarchy below level 0 has 10110, 10120, 10210 and 10220; however 10300 and 10400 are also lowest as they do not have anything under them in level 0. I want to create a report that has the leaf level for this hierarhcy 10110, 10120, 10210, 10220, 10300 and 10400.

Also, I do not see these levels in Analysis Studio at all, I also do not see any alias in analysis studio. Any way to fix that?

Eg
Herman Moller

Post by Herman Moller »

I have seen that issue with BI in the past as it doesnt like ragged hierarchies. Try the following test:

a) Create a TM1 Attribute call = Nlevel in TM1.

b) Manually 1st add all the codes you want to see eventhrough they are at different levels (You can use a attribute rule at a later stage)

These should filter through to Report Studio but from past experience you might have to refresh the FM package to bring through the metadata.

c) Try filter that view(In report studio) on the attribute and it should pick up all the elements you want to see.

HTH

Herman
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

Herman,

Thanks for the response. I thought that an attribute might solve the problem, but then I might have to create an attribute for every level in the hierarchy, also every time I add an item in the hierarchy, the attributes cube will have to be updated?

Also, any clue on how to fix Analysis Studio?
PlanningDev
Community Contributor

Post by PlanningDev »

I don't think analysis studio is designed to show levels. It is by nature a parent child analytical slice and dice data viewer. Im having the similar issue right now though where I want to run a rank on all bottom level elements.
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

Are you able to atleast see the alias in Analysis Studio, or just the original name. If you cannot see any alias then the whole point of using TM1 as a reporting source is pointless because a cube is best used for analytical reporting and most of the times the dimension item names would be numbers rather than description, making it very difficult for users to work with. IMHO

Any thoughts?
PlanningDev
Community Contributor

Post by PlanningDev »

Yes you can see an alias but you pick it when importing the cube into the framework model. Other attributes are not available in analysis studio to filter on.
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

Herman Moller wrote:I have seen that issue with BI in the past as it doesnt like ragged hierarchies. Try the following test:

b) Manually 1st add all the codes you want to see eventhrough they are at different levels (You can use a attribute rule at a later stage)

These should filter through to Report Studio but from past experience you might have to refresh the FM package to bring through the metadata.

HTH

Herman
I have created an attribute and in the attributes cube I created the calculation

['Level'] = ELLEV('plan_business_unit', !plan_business_unit); This rule is not populating any value in the cell. Then I created another calculation

['Level'] = N:1; even this calculation is not creating any value. Any thoughts?
PlanningDev
Community Contributor

Post by PlanningDev »

Is your attribute numeric or text? If its an alias or text you will need to use S: after the = sign.
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

It is a numeric attribute.
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

PlanningDev wrote:Yes you can see an alias but you pick it when importing the cube into the framework model. Other attributes are not available in analysis studio to filter on.
When I import the cube in and FM model I do get an option to click on an alias, but the moment I open up the cube in analysis studio I am unable to see the alias. Can you please let me know the step by step process to get the alias in FM model and then in analysis studio.

Thanks
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

tryinghard wrote: I have created an attribute and in the attributes cube I created the calculation

['Level'] = ELLEV('plan_business_unit', !plan_business_unit); This rule is not populating any value in the cell. Then I created another calculation

['Level'] = N:1; even this calculation is not creating any value. Any thoughts?
I have found that even with numeric attributes you have to use the S: syntax. I think this is because the element type (as in what is returned by the dtype function) is "AN" not "N".

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
PlanningDev
Community Contributor

Post by PlanningDev »

tryinghard wrote:
PlanningDev wrote:Yes you can see an alias but you pick it when importing the cube into the framework model. Other attributes are not available in analysis studio to filter on.
When I import the cube in and FM model I do get an option to click on an alias, but the moment I open up the cube in analysis studio I am unable to see the alias. Can you please let me know the step by step process to get the alias in FM model and then in analysis studio.

Thanks
So you don't get to see any attributes of any kind in Analysis studio. Whichever alias you pick in FM is what becomes the element description that is shown to you.
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

Martin Ryan wrote:
I have found that even with numeric attributes you have to use the S: syntax. I think this is because the element type (as in what is returned by the dtype function) is "AN" not "N".

Martin
When I create this formula below it gives a syntax error. I tried this formula with a string attribute and also a numeric attribute, error in both.

['Level'] = S:ELLEV('plan_business_unit', !plan_business_unit);
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

You need to convert the number to a string:

['Level'] = S: trim(str(ELLEV('plan_business_unit', !plan_business_unit), 3, 0));
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

PlanningDev wrote:
So you don't get to see any attributes of any kind in Analysis studio. Whichever alias you pick in FM is what becomes the element description that is shown to you.
These are the steps I am following:

1. Run Metadata wizard
2. Select the datasource and cube
3. In the window Metadata Wizard - Select Locales I click on the dimension and under it in the Alias Table: I click on the necessary alias. (I do not select any language option)
4. Click Next
5. Create a package
6. Open analysis Studio but I still do not see the alias that I selected

Note: when in step 6 I select the language as English, only then I see the alias. (Any thoughts here?)
tryinghard

Post by tryinghard »

Martin Ryan wrote:
['Level'] = S: trim(str(ELLEV('plan_business_unit', !plan_business_unit), 3, 0));
Thank you Martin, that worked like a charm. I do have one question though, why does it need this in the attributes cube but not in regular cubes?
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Martin Ryan wrote: I think this is because the element type (as in what is returned by the dtype function) is "AN" not "N".
Numeric attributes can't actually be numeric in a pure sense, because they're not supposed to sum up - the attribute of a consolidated element needs to be able to be written. This makes it more like a string than a number. Hence the S: rule requirement.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
PlanningDev
Community Contributor

Post by PlanningDev »

tryinghard wrote:
PlanningDev wrote:
These are the steps I am following:

1. Run Metadata wizard
2. Select the datasource and cube
3. In the window Metadata Wizard - Select Locales I click on the dimension and under it in the Alias Table: I click on the necessary alias. (I do not select any language option)
4. Click Next
5. Create a package
6. Open analysis Studio but I still do not see the alias that I selected

Note: when in step 6 I select the language as English, only then I see the alias. (Any thoughts here?)
Try selecting a language option and see what happens. Your steps look fine to me.