TM1 Ribbon

laenen
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

TM1 Ribbon

Post by laenen »

I am glad the TM1 Ribbon is finally fixed!
Oratia623
OLAP Product: TM1/PA/CA
Version: V7.x to 2.0.9+
Excel Version: All

Re: TM1 Ribbon

Post by Oratia623 »

Hi laenen,
It is my first day back from leave, so I may have missed something, but can you supply any more details? TM1 Version? HotFix number?
I cannot see any specific reference to a fix for the Ribbon in the latest 9.5.1 hotfix or 9.4.1 hotfix posts
The TM1Ribbon has been annoying me for some time and I would love to know of any official resolution that could replace our own hacks for TM1 9.5.1/Excel 2007.

Thanks
Paul Williamson
____________________________________________________________________________________
I came. I saw. I did not concur.
laenen

Post by laenen »

9.5.1 HF 8

PM19848 Excel crashing
This is a fix for the ribbon. (Additionally, I believe the blank VB error was resolve too)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

laenen wrote:9.5.1 HF 8

PM19848 Excel crashing
This is a fix for the ribbon. (Additionally, I believe the blank VB error was resolve too)
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but if you're right then Iboglix isn't bothering to tell anyone about it. I'm looking at the HF8 release notes right now and the word "ribbon" does not appear - anywhere - in them.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
laenen

Post by laenen »

try it and see. and if it is still broken let me know I will reopen the APAR
Oratia623
OLAP Product: TM1/PA/CA
Version: V7.x to 2.0.9+
Excel Version: All

Post by Oratia623 »

OK, so looking at the detail of PM19848, it is not the fix I was hoping for. dagnamit
PM19848 concerns the crashing of Excel when the ribbon is enabled. We're not experiencing this issue (but then we run under Citrix)

Our issues are
a) Navigation delays when the TM1 ribbon is active (reported in open APARs PM17862 & PM21944)
b) On some occasions (especially when running VBA code) you would end up with either a ribbon with just the button thumbnails and no descriptions, or the ribbon itself "disappearing" (reported in open APAR PM21513)

Just to check, I applied HF8 on test, but both these issues are still not fixed.

We have currently worked around both of these issues by modifying the tm1RibbonX.xlam file.
We found that the tm1 ribbon was constantly refreshing the text for button names and supertips, as well as the button enabled/visible state every time you navigated within the sheet. These are refreshed by the tm1pRibbonX.xlam file calling subroutines in the tm1p.xla.
This constant callback to the tm1p.xlam is what causes the navigation delay.
Sometimes (e.g. when other VBA code was running) the tm1pRibbonX.xlam could not fire tm1p.xla subroutines and all the ribbon names disappeared.

We ended up hardcoding this text and button state within the tm1pRibbonX.xlam file to remove the need for constant callbacks to the tm1p.xla file.

Not pretty, but it works, however this is really only a short term solution until we get a proper fix from the powers that be.
Paul Williamson
____________________________________________________________________________________
I came. I saw. I did not concur.
laenen

Post by laenen »

Paul

That is an interesting work-around.

RE B. You are right the fix is not released yet.