Welcome along

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Welcome along

Post by Martin Ryan »

Be interesting to see if this thing flies, but I thought it's worth setting something up to see where it goes. At least we'll know if it'll work.

I'm looking for administrators. I'll tag a few users as moderators when they sign up. If I tag you as a moderator and you're happy to upgrade to admin please email me at wilhelmus7 at yahoo dot com.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Re: Welcome along

Post by John Hobson »

Thanks Martin

J
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

This could just be a configuration setting, but it seems that when a new post is made (and you've subscribed) you get a very wordy e-mail TELLING you that a new post is made... but not the content of the actual post itself.

I'm going to be interested to see how this one handles John's auld issue of it not sending copies of your own posts back to you as well...
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

Good Mornin' Vietnaaaaaaaaaam! :lol:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Alan Kirk wrote:This could just be a configuration setting, but it seems that when a new post is made (and you've subscribed) you get a very wordy e-mail TELLING you that a new post is made... but not the content of the actual post itself.

I'm going to be interested to see how this one handles John's auld issue of it not sending copies of your own posts back to you as well...
I've just subscribed to see how it works. Will see what I can play with.

Martin
TJMurphy
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

Thanks for getting this up and running. Look forward to participating here. It will also be good if the other OLAP section gets some interest as this will be new for most of us.

Tony
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Martin Ryan wrote:I've just subscribed to see how it works. Will see what I can play with.

Martin
Testing 1,2,3.

I've updated the code to email the post rather than a page of rather useless information. Now I just have to make it do it every time rather than having to wait until you log back in. Running out of time today though...

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Afternoon chaps. I don't mind being an admin if you are still looking for volunteers,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
BigDSter
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by BigDSter »

Morning chaps, so is this the forum we've settled on then?
David Newton
Burtons Foods
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

It's starting to look like it isn't it

It does seem to have a lot going for it - the BB code even works properly :o
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

I agree - let's stick with this one. It has a nice feel, and it seems to work well covering muliple OLAP tools.

One issue: unless people sign their posts, either manually or with a sig, then email versions of the posts don't say who it is who's made the post. This can get confusing with multiple replies to a post.
Paul
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

John Hobson wrote:

I can't see any need to go for any other forum outside of Iboglix; this one seems to be doing everything, and applause to Martin for achieving so much in so short a time. There are no guarantees on how it'll pan out of course; so far we have only 21 users here, although that's coming from a standing start.

I doubt that traditional Cognosians will move; I looked at Cognos Communities today and the level of traffic in those groups is pretty intense. (Unlike the TM1 section of CC (a.k.a. "The Ghost Town") that is, with the difference being that the TM1 users generally know that there has been something better on offer and aren't prepared to settle for the pain and discomfort of CC.) As for whether TM1-ers will move... I think it would take Iboglix years to get them to migrate to Cognos Communities, and if they really do shut down e-mail notifications on 31 May it'll pretty much kill our auld and beloved (except when the code didn't work right) Forum which I expect would give this one a boost.

If they don't kill the e-mail notifications on the other hand... we 21 may end up talking amongst ourselves. However I don't think that there's any doubt that the TM1 Forum is on borrowed time, and there's always going to be the issues that we've identified with a proprietary Forum no matter how much they try to fix CC (or how long it takes them), so my own feeling is that we should probably be encouraging as many TM1 users as we can to jump ship over to here.

We're still missing at least 1 Steve, at least 1 Mike, an Adam, a Curmudgeon, another Martin, an Armando, a Wes, an RJ... hmmm, still some way to go, but with luck we'll get there!
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Paul: Point noted. I've just had a quick hack at fixing it and managed to break the whole posting part (rather crucial), so I've restored it the way it was. I'll try to have another go when you're all in bed sometime next week so it doesn't disrupt the forum.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

John Hobson wrote:
John Hobson wrote:

I can't see any need to go for any other forum outside of Iboglix; this one seems to be doing everything, and applause to Martin for achieving so much in so short a time. There are no guarantees on how it'll pan out of course; so far we have only 21 users here, although that's coming from a standing start.

I doubt that traditional Cognosians will move; I looked at Cognos Communities today and the level of traffic in those groups is pretty intense. (Unlike the TM1 section of CC (a.k.a. "The Ghost Town") that is, with the difference being that the TM1 users generally know that there has been something better on offer and aren't prepared to settle for the pain and discomfort of CC.) As for whether TM1-ers will move... I think it would take Iboglix years to get them to migrate to Cognos Communities, and if they really do shut down e-mail notifications on 31 May it'll pretty much kill our auld and beloved (except when the code didn't work right) Forum which I expect would give this one a boost.

If they don't kill the e-mail notifications on the other hand... we 21 may end up talking amongst ourselves. However I don't think that there's any doubt that the TM1 Forum is on borrowed time, and there's always going to be the issues that we've identified with a proprietary Forum no matter how much they try to fix CC (or how long it takes them), so my own feeling is that we should probably be encouraging as many TM1 users as we can to jump ship over to here.

We're still missing at least 1 Steve, at least 1 Mike, an Adam, a Curmudgeon, another Martin, an Armando, a Wes, an RJ... hmmm, still some way to go, but with luck we'll get there!
one concern I have is that I DIDN'T POST THAT!
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

we 21 may end up talking amongst ourselves
Having said that there are only 49 users on te TM1 forum who have posted > 50 posts in all its life (7 years??) so getting 21 of them here is quite a good start IMHO. A few more pointers to the others and we should get there - especially if Cognos turn off the emails.

We are also missing a Paul S.

I quite like it here - I'm getting quite comfortable.
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

one concern I have is that I DIDN'T POST THAT!
You're right, that was me, as in "he-who-does-not-run-but-misbehaves"! And I could have sworn that it SHOWED me immediately after I posted it.

It's definitely been "reassigned" to you now, though, since I don't have the [Edit] button available.

Do we have a Cognos Communities infiltrator in here???
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Nothing so exciting I think :?

I imagine it was due to this which I hadn't seen when I composed my response:
I've just had a quick hack at fixing it and managed to break the whole posting part (rather crucial), so I've restored it the way it was
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

John Hobson wrote:
Nothing so exciting I think :?

I imagine it was due to this which I hadn't seen when I composed my response:
I've just had a quick hack at fixing it and managed to break the whole posting part (rather crucial), so I've restored it the way it was
Well at least you had the experience of being me for a few brief moments.

:evil: Horrifying, wasn't it? :twisted:
-----------
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Alan, obviously the rest of my life will now be reduced to a pale shadow of those few moments when I blazed momentarily and meteor-like across the top of the vaulted halls of the OLAP firmament. :mrgreen:

or something like that anyway
John Hobson
The Planning Factory