Feerders for the constant Value

lav4you

Feerders for the constant Value

Post by lav4you »

Hi All,

In recent I started working on a TM1 model and I am stuck with a feeders for some constant value derivation.
My Cube has five dimension
Stores, Products, Time, Measure & Version
Among many other rule there is one specific rule which is

['Version 1'] =N: 1;

This rule sets value 1 for some other further calculation.
Can any one tell me what should be the feeder for this kind of rule?

Thanks in advance.
jstrygner
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 FP3
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Feerders for the constant Value

Post by jstrygner »

You just feed it from any value that you know will always be different from 0 in your model.
If you don't have such a value (in any cube) in your model, you can create a special cube just to have there a cell where you write any value other than 0 and feed from it.

It is easier if your dimensions have one root consolidations ('Total Stores', 'Total Products'...), so you can benefit from a fact that feeding a consolidation feeds all leafs that this consolidation is an ancestor for. If your dimensions have more root consolidations, you'll need to feed all of them, unless you do not need to (you feed only in places, where you need a proper sum on consolidations).

HTH
lav4you

Post by lav4you »

Thanks for your reply jstrygner,

I m wondering if I create a cube with two dimension and one item in each
ex
Cube name Feed_test
Dimension 1 Name: Dim1 ---- Item Name- version 1
Dimension 1 Name: Dim2 ---- Item Name -Value

Rule

Code: Select all

['Value'] = 1;
and for my cube(having above listed 5 dimension...)
Now the rule will be

['Version 1'] =N: DB('Feed_test',!Dim1,'Value')
then what should be the feeder for above situation...
jstrygner
MVP

Post by jstrygner »

Using your example it should be like this:

1. In the Feed_test cube in a cell that points to version 1 element in Dim1 dimension and Value element in Dim2 dimension you manually insert a value that is different from 0 (e.g. 1 or 2 or 100) - this way you will be able to feed from that cell.
2. You create rules for Feed_test cube where you have only FEEDERS section (I assume dimensions order you gave in the first post):

['version 1', 'Value']=>DB('Your_cube_with_5_dimensions', 'All Stores', 'All products', 'All Time', 'Version 1', 'All Versions');
To sum some things up (that may not be clear for you, I don't know):
1. You need to input a value manually, if you calculate it via rule (as you suggested) you cannot feed from it unless it is fed from somewhere else.
2. You may have just FEEDERS section in rules for a cube and those feeders may feed cells in a different cube.
3. I put 'All Time' and 'All Versions' elements for your Time and Version dimensions, which you may not have there. But you can create them and make sure these are ancestors for all the elements you want to be fed in those dimensions. Such a consolidation may have no business value (why to sum up four versions of a budget), but it has its value as a technical element.
4. Every time you update your dimensions (e.g. you add a new year to Time dimension) you need to make sure 'All Time'/'All Versions' etc. is ancestor for all new elements you create.

Regards,
lav4you

Post by lav4you »

Hi jstrygner,

Thanks alotttttttt for your quick and detailed reply....

I created new 2 dimension cube and I entered value manually. and works gr8..

btw there is one stranger part for my original cube(with 5 dimension)... after inserting feeder statement once...
it works without feeders... it consolidate values without any feeder statement.. i checked with suppress zero but but it was working as if there is feeder statement..
even I changed my original Feed_test cube value from zero to other numerical many times... but still it was working...
only time it stops is when I restart that TM1 application server... now again I just need to activate Feeders in Feed_test cube once(removing #).. and it continues...
sounds funny but it does this way..

any possible explanation for it? waiting for experts reply. :D

Thanks alot any way

regards,
Lav
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

If you don't have skipcheck enabled you don't need feeders. But this is only workable for very small cubes, or cubes which are only for lookups.
jstrygner
MVP

Post by jstrygner »

Although I agree with David's statement, there is something I want to add, as (as far as I understand) you DO have Skipcheck in your 5-dim cube all the time.
... after inserting feeder statement once...
That is exactly the way TM1 operates. When you save rules with FEEDERS it "somehow" makes TM1 see all the fed cells (like it would put a flag "check-my-value-while-consolidating" to those cells) and keeps them visible all the time during TM1 server session (even if you then later change the value from non-zero to zero or comment your FEEDERS area). One way to remove those flags is TM1 server restarting - while loading model into RAM TM1 puts fed flags from the scratch, other way I know is right-click on the cube that was fed (in this example the 5-dim cube) and chose 'Unload Cube...' option. This way you can remove all the check-me-flags without a need to restarting the TM1 server (even if the value in source cube is different from 0 and FEEDERS are not commented out). If you want to bring the flags back it is enough to open the rule where your FEEDERS are and save it.

It is very important while developing FEEDERS to remember about it. If you do not keep that in mind, you risk that FEEDERS once written and then commented out can cause that consolidations will work good but only till the moment you need to restart the TM1 server.

Nice to know I was helpful.
lav4you

Post by lav4you »

Before I say anything just want to clarify to David and those who may look at this thread later for there reference that i did enabled my SKIPCHECK option... but still it rules were working without feeders...
and the reason for that is already explained above in every possible technical detail by jstrygner...

thanks David for your reply.....

and J you made my day today.... ..;) thanks alot alot for your help I was struggling with these questions since almost a week...

thanks again

regards,

lav