AIX TM1 9.5 connecting via ODBC

MarioRubbo
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

AIX TM1 9.5 connecting via ODBC

Post by MarioRubbo »

I am mostly familiar with Windows installs of TM1 but I've been tasked with a UNIX install. Some documentation mentions installing a TM1 component called the "ODBC Gateway" but our UNIX console-based installation program only listed the AdminServer and Server as installable components. I did not see any component called the ODBC Gateway. Is this a component that was required in previous releases but has disappeared in more recent releases? Has anyone installed AIX 5.3 TM1 9.5 and tried to connect to databases via ODBC?
MarioRubbo

Re: AIX TM1 9.5 connecting via ODBC

Post by MarioRubbo »

As per Support, the TM1 ODBC Gateway component is gone. Current releases require a setting in the TM1S.CFG file called "ODBCLibraryPath" that points to a particular ODBC UNIX ".so" driver file.

e.g. ODBCLibraryPath=/optware/sybase/lib/libdbodbc9.so

Also, there is an odbc_test.exe program in the TM1 "bin" directory that can be used to test TM1 connectivity with ODBC. Also, make sure that your ODBC driver architecture matches the TM1 architecture: i.e. 32bit TM1 requires 32bit ODBC drivers, 64bit TM1 requires 64bit ODBC driver. The architecture is dependent on the version of TM1 - not on the version of the RDBMS software, i.e. 32bit Oracle server would still need a 64bit client driver on the TM1 machine if 64bit TM1 is installed.
MarioRubbo

Post by MarioRubbo »

After several more weeks of struggling, I've finally gotten 64bit AIX TM1 9.5 to connect to my Sybase IQ database. Success required the installation of a 64bit Sybase IQ ODBC driver provided by Sybase. Also, TM1 requires that a 64bit ODBC Driver Manager be installed. The Sybase install came with a file called libodbc.so but this was not a full implementation of a ODBC Driver Manager. TM1 required a full implementation so we downloaded a package called unixODBC for this. This package included a file called libodbc.a which is the Driver Manager in an archived file format. The .a format is incompatible with TM1 so I needed to use the following command to extract a .so file from the archive: ar -x -X 64 libodbc.a". This create a file called libodbc.so.1 which will be used by TM1.

The complete steps are:
- to modify the tm1s.cfg file to point to the libodbc.so.1 file. In my case: /optware/easysoft/unixODBC/lib/libodbc.so.1
- unixODBC software (64bit driver manager) is configured to point to the Sybase driver file
- The appropriate Sybase driver (64bit driver) is loaded and used to connect.
kcostigan
Excel Version: 2000 9.0.6926 sp3

Post by kcostigan »

Mario,
I am also trying to configure the Driver Manager software package called unixODBC because I encountered the same requirements of driver manager software for TM1. The problem I am having is with the archive command you specified:
ar -x -X64 libodbc.a
I receive no output from this and it does not create the file called "libodbc.so.1". However, if I run it by omitting the X64 option it does work and creates a libodbc.so.1 file. This leads me to believe that the version of "libodbc.a" is possibly not 64bit. When I downloaded the unixODBC software from the website there was no differentiation between 32 and 64 bit versions. I compiled it with the standard AIX xlc v9 compiler.
Can you think of anything I may have done wrong...did you encounter any similar problem?

Ken
MarioRubbo

Post by MarioRubbo »

The choice of 32-bit vs 64-bit is driven by your TM1 installation. If TM1 is 32-bit, then you need 32-bit unixODBC Driver Manager and a 32-bit ODBC database driver. This is regardless of the actual database architecture (32-bit vs 64-bit). In my case, TM1 was 64-bit so I had to get 64-bit drivers AND a 64-bit driver manager. The compiling part was done by someone else so I can't help you there. You can use the UNIX "file" command to determine if the libodbc.so.1 file is 32-bit or 64-bit.