TM1 9.1 Locks cases

Viet
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4 FP2
Excel Version: 2003

TM1 9.1 Locks cases

Post by Viet »

Hi everyone,

I am glad to take part of this forum as I can see that interesting discussions are going on here.

I would like to know if anyone has a complete document about locks versus events in TM1 version 9.1: what is locked and when?

Thanks a lot.

Viet
Mike Cowie
Site Admin
OLAP Product: IBM TM1/PA, SSAS, and more
Version: Anything thru 11.x
Excel Version: 2003 - Office 365

Re: TM1 9.1 Locks cases

Post by Mike Cowie »

Hi Viet,

I'm not sure I'm clear about what you're asking.

Are you asking under what events the TM1 Server applies locks to objects? I don't think there is a good document out there, but maybe someone else has compiled one on their own. The 9.1 documentation may give some bits and pieces, but because Applix/Cognos has supposedly changed the locking model significantly in 9.1 (not that I've heard of it really looking that much different from other recent releases). It seems like it may be a moving target, by which I mean they may continue adjusting it and, thus, any detailed documentation may not be relevant from one service pack to another.

In general, it has seemed to me in the past that the following things will apply a server-type lock:
* Updating a value in a cube (very brief, but a lock does get applied)
* Saving TM1 Rules
* Saving TM1 Dimensions (fairly brief unless very large)
* Running TI processes that update dimensions/data and don't adjust the locking through the various locking/batch update functions to control that
* Replication/Synchronization

I probably missed something, but that's the general idea. The 9.1 locking I think may have become a little more granular whereby it supposedly locks objects more precisely (i.e., a cube vs. the entire server), but I have yet to test/see that proven out. Hopefully someone else can help you further, but this might give you some general guidance.

Regards,
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!