Performace Monitor - }Time Intervals Dimension

ExApplix
OLAP Product: Cognos Tm1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Performace Monitor - }Time Intervals Dimension

Post by ExApplix »

I have question regarding the Performance Monitor. All performance monitoring control cubes use the }Time Intervals control dimension. My understanding says that this dimension only stores data for only past 24 hours. After that it starts overwriting the values. Does this means that we can not monitor for more than one day?

I want to Monitor on Weekly or Monthly statistics. Is this possible? If yes how?

Another question: In Windows Task Manager, does any one know how to Log the CPU & RAM Usage on Weekly or Monthly basis?

Please advice. Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Performace Monitor - }Time Intervals Dimension

Post by Alan Kirk »

ExApplix wrote:I have question regarding the Performance Monitor. All performance monitoring control cubes use the }Time Intervals control dimension. My understanding says that this dimension only stores data for only past 24 hours. After that it starts overwriting the values. Does this means that we can not monitor for more than one day?
Closer to "one to two" days, except when the UTC date ticks over to a new day (as it did a few minutes ago).

The 0H elements track the hourly values for the current day (based on UTC time). It's currently quarter past midnight UTC which means that in 45 minutes or so the stats for midnight to 1am will show up in the 0H00 element. At 2am UTC the stats for the hour just gone will appear in 0H01, and so on.

The 1H elements track the values for the previous UTC day. So when the day ticked over, all of "yesterday"'s stats went over into the 1Hxx elements.

That means that just before midnight UTC time, you'll have most of 2 days' worth of data in there. Just after it, you'll have only 1 day's worth of data. Anywhere in between, you'll have 1 to 2 days.
ExApplix wrote:I want to Monitor on Weekly or Monthly statistics. Is this possible? If yes how?
Not directly but you can use the information above to figure out a way. There's no point even trying to capture the 0H elements (much less the minute elements unless you're trying to identify bottlenecks) as you'll never have a complete set. However what you can do is create a TI chore to export the 1H elements. The chore would need to run at a designated time relative to UTC each day. (In this one rare instance, the fact that the chore will be scheduled in UTC anyway will help with that.)

You could then load the data files that the chore creates into either an Excel workbook or an Access database or some such.

A further alternative would be to create your own custom cube or cubes, and have the TI write the data from the 1H elements into those (possibly aggregating it) so that you have a permanent record of it.
ExApplix wrote: Another question: In Windows Task Manager, does any one know how to Log the CPU & RAM Usage on Weekly or Monthly basis?
I'll leave that for someone else; I haven't looked at Windows logging recently.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.