Forum Structure

John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Forum Structure

Post by John Hobson »

Is it possible to / would it be a good idea to split this section into sub headings like

Rules
Turbo Irritator
API
VBA
etc
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Forum Structure

Post by Alan Kirk »

John Hobson wrote:Is it possible to / would it be a good idea to split this section into sub headings like

Rules
Turbo Irritator
API
VBA
etc
It might be problematic, I think. The real problem is that a lot of issues can be approached in multiple ways; rules are sometimes an alternative to TI which is sometimes an alternative to a VBA/API combined solution etc, and all of the approaches can be (and often are) discussed within a single thread.

Splitting off Web might be an option, although even then you may have cross-over issues between, say, Web and Applications folders. EV could perhaps be another sub-heading but given the traffic in the old Applix EV Forum (which is almost but not quite as dead as the TM1 Cognos Communities one, but at least it DID have a frequent Applix presence and involvement) I'm not sure that there would be enough posts to warrant it.

I see where you want to go with that and I take your point, but I think that there would be so much "slop-over" of topics that in the longer term the distinctions may not be meaningful. I'm not opposed to the idea, but am not sure that it would work out as intended.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

I thought about this John, but after using the Palo forum (where there are about a dozen categories) which I found it quite disjointed and difficult to find which posts were new, I thought it made more sense to keep everything together. Particularly as there are already multiple forums for the multiple OLAP tools.

Given this is a "by the users for the users" thing though, if there is a majority who would like some kind of split, then we can make it happen.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Funny - I quite like the PALO forum split topics which was why I suggested it!

I'm not over fussed but it appeals to me.

If noone else is in favour the let's move on :D
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

is there a way to tag post?
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Eric wrote:is there a way to tag post?
Yep, start a new thread :D

No, sorry, doesn't appear to be. I'll have a look to see if there's a simple mod, but I think for the moment your best bet is the Search function - which seems to work pretty well.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

There is a mod for tags here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=555087

If one of the other admins wants to have a go, please feel free. Not a great deal of PHP knowledge required as the file will step you through it. Just need the ftp details.

BACKUP ANY FILES BEFORE YOU CHANGE!! I've broken things several times and had to go to backups.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3

Post by bihints.com »

same as Eric.
tags are the way to go.

"Everything is miscellaneous"! -> http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4CV05HyAbM
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Tags here as well.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

What the hell??

Can anyone else get in to the old forum OK? i'm trying to login and it says "user unknown" despite the fact that when i asked it to remind me of my user id and password, it returned them in an email fine!!! i think someone is trying to tell me something...
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Yup

I can (and if I can anyone can)
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Eric
MVP

Post by Eric »

They are wacking access to the forum for all the Rougue TM1-er.... speaking of which we migh need a beeter name them rougue TM1-ers.......Alan any ideas?
Regards,
Eric

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Well they've not done me yet - I feel really left out :(

I quite like being a "rogue" (or was that a "rouge") ;)

By the way did you all spot the ref to http://www.cognoise.com/community/ on the Cognos forum?

Quite a vibrant independent forum they've got going there - I did a search for TM1 and came up with zilch though.

I suspect we are better off here in the long run
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I'm logging in ok. I'd have thought I'd probably be the first to be got rid of as I started the new forum. Well, maybe third to Alan and John as they were probably looking for an excuse to get rid of them anyway :)
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

Not had a response from either Applix or Cognos email addresses yet, but i'm suspecting some mixup where they think i'm no longer responsible for TM1 here. We've had a change in the licenising here and i've been nervous that our IT mob haven't been on the ball where payments and responsibilities are concerned, so maybe they think we are out of contract and have removed me because of it...

We shall see :roll:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Steve Vincent wrote:Not had a response from either Applix or Cognos email addresses yet, but i'm suspecting some mixup where they think i'm no longer responsible for TM1 here. We've had a change in the licenising here and i've been nervous that our IT mob haven't been on the ball where payments and responsibilities are concerned, so maybe they think we are out of contract and have removed me because of it...

We shall see :roll:
Which, if true, is a PERFECT example of why we need an independent forum. I had a scare this morning after getting the usual "ACCESS DENIED" warning when my Firefox-saved user/pass was rejected with "User not found." It appears that the username is now case sensitive, as all attempts to log in were rejected until I fixed the case. Weird...

Matt
Eric
MVP

Post by Eric »

Quite a vibrant independent forum they've got going there - I did a search for TM1 and came up with zilch though.

I suspect we are better off here in the long run
Maybe I will register there and just put 1 post for TM1 so they know where to go.
Regards,
Eric