Dynamic view update using ViewMDXSet in PAW

lav4you

Dynamic view update using ViewMDXSet in PAW

Post by lav4you »

Hi,

In theory if I have a view created through MDX in server, I use this view on a book and then run a ti through action button in PAW to update view's mdx it must update my view based on TI in my book as per the new MDX supplied in TI. but in practice paw doesn't do that.
The view remains static till user reopens that book.

Atleast not in my setup..

Any reason why I can't do this in paw? AmI missing my settings or configuration?
Is there any option to achive the same?

View mdx offers much more granular control over a view than MDX based subset.

Regards,

Lav
ascheevel
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Re: Dynamic view update using ViewMDXSet in PAW

Post by ascheevel »

I'm guessing you're just changing dimension selections/subsets in the view and not trying to render a completely different cubeview right? You could use a parameters cube to store the mdx parameters and have the cube mdx reference that cube for dimensions selections within the query.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi Lav4you,
I would imagine what is going on is something like this.

You define view A which is contained in PAW screen B.

User opens PAW screen B, at this point PAW screen B has a local copy of the view A which is the user is free manipulate and navigate subject to rights etc.

You change the defintion of view A on the server using TI, this doesn't impact the PAW screen since it has its own local copy.

Assuming the user hasn't changed the view your MDX will still be excuting though.

What I would suggest is that rather than changing the MDX programmatically you'll need to extend the MDX defintion to generalise it so that the result can be manipulated in real time based on values held in cubes or the MDX on set defeinitions. Hard to be specific without more detail on your use case.

There is also a button to reload the defintion of a view from the server but this doesn't really solve your problem.

HTH
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
lav4you

Post by lav4you »

ascheevel wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:32 pm I'm guessing you're just changing dimension selections/subsets in the view and not trying to render a completely different cubeview right? You could use a parameters cube to store the mdx parameters and have the cube mdx reference that cube for dimensions selections within the query.
Thanks ascheevel.

I am aware of this option. I am just exploring if there is any option to update view rather than subset.

Regards,

Lav
lav4you

Post by lav4you »

Steve Rowe wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:32 am Hi Lav4you,
I would imagine what is going on is something like this.

You define view A which is contained in PAW screen B.

User opens PAW screen B, at this point PAW screen B has a local copy of the view A which is the user is free manipulate and navigate subject to rights etc.

You change the defintion of view A on the server using TI, this doesn't impact the PAW screen since it has its own local copy.

Assuming the user hasn't changed the view your MDX will still be excuting though.

What I would suggest is that rather than changing the MDX programmatically you'll need to extend the MDX defintion to generalise it so that the result can be manipulated in real time based on values held in cubes or the MDX on set defeinitions. Hard to be specific without more detail on your use case.

There is also a button to reload the defintion of a view from the server but this doesn't really solve your problem.

HTH
Exactly.. I am wondering if there is any hidden configuration option which I have missed that would enable the dynamic TI and MDX driven Views in PAW?