Need Help with a feeder

Paul-TM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Need Help with a feeder

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi All,
I have a feeder and want to combine the two feeder statements into one and write it more efficiently. Can someone please help?
Cube 1: RateCodes Dimensions:
Months
PLCCode
Rate Type
Cube 2: Labor Dimensions:
Employee
LaborMsrs
Months
Projects
Versions
Cubes

Rule in Labor cube

Code: Select all

[{'Bid', 'Pricing'},  'PLC Rate'] =N: DB('PLC Rates',DB('Labor',!Projects,!Employee,!Months,!Versions,'PLC'),!Months,'Business Rate');
Corresponding Feeder

['Business Rate'] => 
	DB(
	'Labor','All Projects','ALL HR Employees',!Months,'Bid','PLC Rate'
	) ;
['Business Rate'] => 
	DB(
	'Labor','All Projects','ALL HR Employees',!Months,'Planning','PLC Rate'
	) ;

Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Need Help with a feeder

Post by Wim Gielis »

If you create a total with 2 children, Bid and Planning, you can feed the total.
TM1 will feed its children since ultimately feeders are a concept at N level in the cube.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
ascheevel
Community Contributor
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Post by ascheevel »

['Business Rate'] => 
	DB(
	'Labor','All Projects','ALL HR Employees',!Months,'Bid','PLC Rate'
	)
	DB(
	'Labor','All Projects','ALL HR Employees',!Months,'Planning','PLC Rate'
	) ;
You could also create a consolidation with both Bid and Planning elements as children and then feed just that consolidation.

Also the rule references Bid and Pricing on the left side but are feeding Bid and Planning, is that typo on your part?
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

In addition there’s a typo in the order of the dimensions of the rates cube.

But most of all, are you sure you want that much overfeeding (most probably) ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
ascheevel
Community Contributor
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Post by ascheevel »

Wim Gielis wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:47 pm But most of all, are you sure you want that much overfeeding (most probably) ?
To expand on Wims insightful question, why are you populating the Rate measure verbatim in the Labor cube anyway? I'm guessing you're using those rates to calculate dollars based on some other census measure like hours. What follows assumes you're calculating dollars by multiplying hours by rate. Just reference the rate in the Rate cube in your dollars calc rule and only feed that from the hours measure in your Labor cube to avoid grossly overfeeding. If you still want the rate to be displayed in the Labor cube, you could populate with current rule, but then just feed it from the hours measure in the Labor cube and don't bother to feed from the Rate cube. The result will be that rate will only be fed in the same intersections where hours <> 0, all else being equal. You'll most likely not want to be summing the rates through the consolidations in the Labor cube, so will need a C: rule to properly divide dollars by hours at the consolidated levels. If you're going to do that, you might as well remove the N: rule for rate in the Labor cube and make "PLC Rate" a consolidation in the Labor/Msrs dim with hours and dollars as children and forgo the feeder entirely.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

As David Usherwood is now enjoying retirement I can only repeat the point he has made countless times on this forum; the purpose of feeding is for consolidation ergo if a rule calculated measure doesn't need to consolidate then don't feed it. Rates are such a measure, you shouldn't feed rates.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

the purpose of feeding is for consolidation ergo if a rule calculated measure doesn't need to consolidate then don't feed it. Rates are such a measure, you shouldn't feed rates.
I would add the caveat that if you want to copy those values as part of a TI then because they are not fed they won't show up if zero suppression is on.

Maren
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

lotsaram wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am As David Usherwood is now enjoying retirement I can only repeat the point he has made countless times on this forum; the purpose of feeding is for consolidation ergo if a rule calculated measure doesn't need to consolidate then don't feed it. Rates are such a measure, you shouldn't feed rates.
Thanks!
In fact, although I am officially retired, I'm still doing some TM1/PA work and posting on this and (the other) forum.
Paul-TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Thanks for all your advices. I told the business and they wanted to see the rate no matter what. I got the idea now.

Thanks again,
Paul.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

If you are using PAW as the UI and assuming you are just trying to show the PLC Rate, you could use a derived Member to get the value from the underlying cube and display it in the exploration. No feeding as it is purely for display purposes.