Creating indented snapshots from cube views

JamiseBondi
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: Office 365

Creating indented snapshots from cube views

Post by JamiseBondi »

Hi guys,

Could anyone explain why when a dimension hierarchy viewed in a cube view in perspectives is snapshotted out to excel this hierarchy is maintained (indentations are preserved). When this same cube view is viewed from tm1web, the hierarchy is visible, but when snapshotted out from the cube view in tm1web, the excel file produced loses the indentations showing the original hierarchy.

Is there a way of preserving the indentations when snapshotting out from tm1web?

thanks.
ascheevel
Community Contributor
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Re: Creating indented snapshots from cube views

Post by ascheevel »

Are you simply asking the WHY or are you asking if there's a workaround? I'm not aware of a fix. As for the why, my guess is it has to do with Perspectives being an excel add-in and TM1web using open xml file format for excel files since 10.2 and IBM not being bothered to consider that as desired functionality. I don't remember if hierarchy indentation ever worked prior to 10.2 in tm1web though. This question may be better asked in the IBM community page, maybe get a response from someone at IBM, but I imagine they'll say something like, "don't use TM1web to snapshot/slice to excel, use PAX.". Indentation also doesn't carry-over when exporting from PAW, so you could submit an RFE for PAW and link back here for folks to upvote.

It looks like you asked this question 8 years ago, but never got a reply. 8 years ago I was taking a break from TM1 to work in essbase, most of my days were spent muttering, "jfc, this would be so much easier in tm1".
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

I typically stick to some VBA code, organized in the ribbon. Clean and neat, doesn’t require a Nobel prize to set up.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
JamiseBondi

Post by JamiseBondi »

ascheevel wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:45 pm Are you simply asking the WHY or are you asking if there's a workaround? I'm not aware of a fix. As for the why, my guess is it has to do with Perspectives being an excel add-in and TM1web using open xml file format for excel files since 10.2 and IBM not being bothered to consider that as desired functionality. I don't remember if hierarchy indentation ever worked prior to 10.2 in tm1web though. This question may be better asked in the IBM community page, maybe get a response from someone at IBM, but I imagine they'll say something like, "don't use TM1web to snapshot/slice to excel, use PAX.". Indentation also doesn't carry-over when exporting from PAW, so you could submit an RFE for PAW and link back here for folks to upvote.

It looks like you asked this question 8 years ago, but never got a reply. 8 years ago I was taking a break from TM1 to work in essbase, most of my days were spent muttering, "jfc, this would be so much easier in tm1".
Thanks for the feedback, and the reminder of the previous post, I had forgotten I had asked this same question 8 yrs ago ;-) I tried searching the forum for related threads but didn't see my previous post.
JamiseBondi

Post by JamiseBondi »

Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:54 am I typically stick to some VBA code, organized in the ribbon. Clean and neat, doesn’t require a Nobel prize to set up.
Thanks Wim, so you're making use of either perspectives or PAX then? I was after a workaround for tm1web, but thanks for the tip.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Yes, both Excel. Most of the time the same code can be used.

You wrote about a snapshot out of TM1 Web. That’s why I commented on an Excel semi-automatic solution.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

I think the short answer is that indenting to indicate parent/child relationships when exporting from TM1Web wasn't considdered necessary as part of the MVP and it has never been an important enough missing feature to revisit. That's probably unlikely to change.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.