Ability to "Read/view access to Chores without ADMIN access

Arden
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 1098

Ability to "Read/view access to Chores without ADMIN access

Post by Arden »

Hi,

Our Business users are assigned an AD group called RWSuperUser. This AD group does not have ADMIN access as we have restricted it to only give that access to Engineering Admins only.

Now another feature our Business users want which would make hem self sufficient is the "Need the ability to "Read/view access to Chores".

1. Currently, they cannot see the CHORES folder at all, so cannot see any of the Chores individually.

2. For some of the chores, the ADMINS on the server changes the Year parameter to individual year. This is done each year. Business users need the ability to change the year in the parameter of the Chores. But Currently, they are unable to see the CHORES at all.

Please know, currently I (an ADMIN) have already tried changing the Chore Security to READ in control cube }ChoreSecurity but to no avail. Even after testing multiple times, we see that the Business Users are not able to see the CHORES folder at all.

I am not sure where lies the problem. Thus, not being successful in fulfilling the above 2 asks from Business. Also, Business do not want to be given ADMIN access as that is the highest security. Till now, the highest security they have been assigned on individual components like Cubes, Dimensions etc.. is WRITE access.

Please let me know your insights. They would really be helpful.

Thank you!

-Arden
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Ability to "Read/view access to Chores without ADMIN access

Post by declanr »

Assigning users read access to a chore *SHOULD* allow them to see it. If they cannot see any chore objects; what interface are they using?
- If it's PAW - a user needs to be assigned the Modeller or Admin role to see the Chores etc.
- If it's architect - I can't remember this for certain in terms of chores, but I know if the tm1p8.lic file is missing from the users PC then they are unable to access certain security functions (this is the case even if they have ADMIN access) so that could also include chores.

But as to your general question - what are you wanting them to gain by having READ access to chores?
- Do you just want them to see when a chore is scheduled?
- Do you want them to see what TI processes the chore contains?
- Do you want them to be able to run the chore manually?
- Something else?

Regarding setting a "year" parameter - generally, if this is a regular task, I would just have a control cube that relevant users can update. Any relevant TI process in the chore can then read from a cell in that control cube which provides it with the year parameter.
Declan Rodger
Arden
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 1098

Re: Ability to "Read/view access to Chores without ADMIN access

Post by Arden »

Thank you for replying!

Yes, Ideally with READ access, they should be able to at least see the chores. But they are not able to currently, thus I am perplexed.

To your questions:
Assigning users read access to a chore *SHOULD* allow them to see it. If they cannot see any chore objects; what interface are they using?
- If it's PAW - a user needs to be assigned the Modeller or Admin role to see the Chores etc.
- If it's architect - I can't remember this for certain in terms of chores, but I know if the tm1p8.lic file is missing from the users PC then they are unable to access certain security functions (this is the case even if they have ADMIN access) so that could also include chores.
They are in fact using both PAW (although sparingly as it's new to us/them) and they use ARCHITECT/PERSPECTIVES more. Interesting point on tm1p8.lic -- I am searching for more info on it.
But as to your general question - what are you wanting them to gain by having READ access to chores?
- Do you just want them to see when a chore is scheduled?
Yes, they should be able to see the schedules of Chores.
- Do you want them to see what TI processes the chore contains?
Not super needed, but might be good to have.
- Do you want them to be able to run the chore manually?
Sometimes during an emergency situation, they might expect themselves to run the chore manually

- Something else?
Not that I can think of. I think pretty much you covered all questions above.
Regarding setting a "year" parameter - generally, if this is a regular task, I would just have a control cube that relevant users can update. Any relevant TI process in the chore can then read from a cell in that control cube which provides it with the year parameter.
Thanks for this suggestion. I will research more on it. This is not regular in the sense but it is done once at the start of the year for all Chores.

When you say a control cube, I am guessing you don't mean a cube starting with } right ? It would be a control cube in a general sense controlling the year parameter if I am understanding you correctly.