Save a public cube view and public subset in a Cube without ADMIN access

Arden
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 1098

Save a public cube view and public subset in a Cube without ADMIN access

Post by Arden »

Hello,

Our Business users are assigned an group called RWSuperUser. This group does not have ADMIN access as we have restricted it to only give that access to Engineering Admins only.

1. Now, our Business users need the ability to "Save a public cube view". Currently, they cannot do this at all, thus have to rely on engineering team to do such small tasks.

2. They also need the ability to "Save a public subset within the cube" (which they are unable to do currently).
  • Currently for most of the Cubes and the included dimensions, RWSuperUserAD group has WRITE access but even then, the users are unable to save a public cube view. They are also unable to save a public subset within the cube.
  • When the app was designed by the original team, It seems it was intentionally decided to not give them ADMIN access - in fact, this has been done as wished by our Business clients as they don't want full privileges but just want on need basis with the highest access given -- being WRITE access. Thus, we want to avoid giving them ADMIN access to specific components like Cubes, Dimensions etc.. as much as we can.
Is there any way, these asks could be achieved without giving them ADMIN access? Please let me know your insights.

I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

-Arden
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Save a public cube view and public subset in a Cube without ADMIN access

Post by declanr »

What I have done in previous builds - is provide Super Users with access to TIs that utilise the PublishView and PublishSubset TI functions:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... ublishview
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... lishsubset

This means you don't need to give users Admin access to Cubes or Dimensions - which even for trusted users can be a bad idea, as they can accidentally overwrite something important.
The users are able to save their own private views or subsets which they have full access to manipulate however they see fit, then they can run the TI process to make those objects public.
With it being a TI process you can add extra validation and coding, this allows you to stop them being able to overwrite existing objects etc.
Declan Rodger
Arden
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 1098

Re: Save a public cube view and public subset in a Cube without ADMIN access

Post by Arden »

Hi Declan,

Thank you so much for replying!

I am taking a look at your pointers and they look promising. Thanks again! And I completely agree with your point about not giving most of the user's ADMIN Access.

A couple of points:

1. If we leverage the new TI s which would be built to utilize the Publish** TI functions, how would the DataSource work in the new TIs? I am guessing the private views would be dynamic in naming convention, thus wondering how it would be possible to select these private views as a DataSource..

2. Regarding what you mentioned here
With it being a TI process you can add extra validation and coding, this allows you to stop them from being able to overwrite existing objects etc.
Could you please provide an example of code if you might have built on what can be achieved? This would immensely help a beginner like me.

Thank you!
-Arden