PAX returns 413 Request Entity Too Large from Websphere in ICP

John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

PAX returns 413 Request Entity Too Large from Websphere in ICP

Post by John Hammond »

When we make a "large" (>1MB) HTML request to Websphere from PAX (this can be report with many rows or typically a commit request that has a lot of tuples) we get it bounced back at the Webserver level as below. This severely limits what we can do in PAX.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (96.83 KiB) Viewed 847 times
So we found out that a 413 is usually where a webserver is set up to avoid DoS attacks as if it is externally facing. It limits the request size so some attacker cant kill the server with one query. Now our PAW setup is truly internal so this does not need to apply.

So we just go to Websphere and tweak the parameters, right? Well now all this is embedded in ICP we dont know how to do this. It seems the webserver is tweaked by start up parameters associated with ICP, but no one knows what is the parameter we need to change.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience of this before and can help. If not I will try and post any resolution. Thank you.
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: PAX returns 413 Request Entity Too Large from Websphere in ICP

Post by burnstripe »

This is a bit of a punt, but PAX/PAW does rely on TM1Web (Planning Analytics Spreadsheet Services) for some of its config settings such as WorkbookMaxCellCount.

See this link https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/413-r ... arge-error

Within the TM1Web install there is a file:
TM1WebLocation\logs\state\plugin-cfg.xml

Which contains a PostSizeLimit within the Server Cluster. Setting this to -1 I expect would remove the limit?

I've not encountered this before but I hope this helps
John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Re: PAX returns 413 Request Entity Too Large from Websphere in ICP

Post by John Hammond »

Thanks Burnstripe - havent had time to try this - will let you know soon as I can.