Capex& opex budgeting module design

Nissy
OLAP Product: cognos tm1
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Capex& opex budgeting module design

Post by Nissy »

Hello ,

I am new on tm1, and I want to develop a module of CAPEX budgeting, I do not know where to start and how to design the application, do you have advice to share with me or examples of design , I will be grateful
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Capex& opex budgeting module design

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi Nissy,
I think that is going to be pretty hard to answer this in absence of any requirements at all.
My advice would be
A. Make sure the requirements have been clearly articulated and documented to you.

then

1. Have a clear idea of what dimensions are going to be required hold the data to deliver the desired outcome.
2. Understand how those dimensions are going to be maintained in the long term.
3. Build all the dimensions.
4. Start building cubes and trial them with the users of the application, get their feedback and iterate to a new build quickly that meets their concerns.
5. Add in rules and TI processes as required to "productionise" your application

Hopefully they'll be patient with you whilst you learn the concepts of building and designing applications in TM1.

Generally the users on the forum will help you with low level questions like
"I need to do A, I've tried methods B and C but this doesn't work because X. Can I have a hand?"

Questions like you've asked " I need to build a Capex budgetting app, how?" are virtually impossible to answer in the forum as there is so much detailed information required and usually a time investment required to produce a design.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Re: Capex& opex budgeting module design

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

Great advice from Steve but,

My advice would be don't even attempt it on your own, get in some expert help and shadow them so you pick up the fundamentals.

Building a production model as part of your training will not end well, or it will take a lot longer than you anticipate, or it will not meet your users expectations.

But it is a good luck from me too!

Maren