macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

TM1 vs PowerBI

Post by macsir »

Hi, all
I know this is not an apple to apple comparison but I just want to find out the some significant uniqueness of TM1 which is fundamentally different from Power BI. The things off the top of my head are
1. TM1 is capable of forecasting, planning and budgeting for Finance as cubes can be updated easily from the end users. Power BI is just data comsuer for dashboard and no way to do same level of forecasting, planning and budgeting in this tool.
2. TM1 and Excel are well integrated and therfore very friendly to accountants. Power BI has tons of fancy visuals and attractive for all users.

All opinions are welcomed! Thanks. :D
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 vs PowerBI

Post by burnstripe »

Power Bi is a visualisation tool, more akin to cognos analytics. TM1/Planning Analytics is a modelling tool at heart with visualisation elements tacked on, completely different beasts.

Companies would typical have 3 steps:

1) Data warehouse made of transactional (relational) data.

2) A modelling/OLAP tool (like tm1) which churns that transactional data and applies aggregations/calculations

3) Dashboarding/reporting tool like cognos analytics and powerbi.

It's not so much a question of using tm1 or powerbi, many companies use both in harmony thanks to tools like TM1PY which simplify using TM1 as a datasource for PowerBi

Why would you use TM1:

1) Calculation performance - thanks to a combination of factors high level consolidations/calculations are performed very fast. Some of these due to:

A) all calculations performed and cached in memory, meaning faster calculation/query times

B) Consolidations - data is only stored at the most granular level and the consolidation algorithm rapidly aggregates all data beneath the consolidation

C) high performance over sparse data. Feeders can be created to flag what needs to be calculated, thus reducing the number of calculations performed meaning faster query times

2) Flexibility

A) Variety of means to interact and submit data the main being: PAW, Tm1web, tm1 applications (all Web interfaces) , Pax (excel addin), Rest Api or via turbo integrator so by ODBC/Odbo connection or flat csv/text files

B) can cater for a wide variety of business needs from more common management accounts, staff analysis to less common needs like pulling api data from the national grid and then calculating the optimum times for power plants to be switched on

3) Contribution - users can write back to the tm1 model. With sandboxes users can also create their own personal view of the data, allowing users to experiment/check and review the impact any changes will have before committing it. This makes it great for forecasting/budgeting. You can also review changes other people's submissions before pushing it to the model if required. ​

Disadvantage to tm1:

1) No out of the box report bursting by email. Although one could be built and there are third party solutions out there

2) Relatively niche job market, recruiting employees with tm1 experience could be difficult depending on location.

3) Visualisation options not as good as Powerbi or Cognos Analytics but tm1's primary purpose is a modelling tool, not a visualisation tool

Sorry this turned out to be a very long message but I hope this is helpful
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

It certainly isn't an apple to apple comparison. It is like comparing cod with parsley sauce, both have different functions but work well together!

PowerBi cannot be ignored because it has the Microsoft 'goodwill' among finance people, and seems to be less of an issue with licencing costs. Though I am no expert on licencing, so happy to be corrected about this!

The main drawback of Planning Analytics is the ability to send out alerts to users, based on some condition occurring within an organisation, such as disabled code has a balance posted against it or actuals exceed budget against a particular cost code etc.

This means that Planning Analytics alone cannot deliver the potential big FTE time savings to an organisation. It must come as pat of a package to achieve that.

Maren
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

MarenC wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:27 am PowerBi cannot be ignored because it has the Microsoft 'goodwill' among finance people, and seems to be less of an issue with licencing costs. Though I am no expert on licencing, so happy to be corrected about this!
Power BI is not necessarily cheap when you start getting a significant user base, but it is daaaaammmnn cheap for a small to medium number of users. Also MS are generally up front about their pricing in a way that IBM rarely is, and they also aren't inclined to jack it up annually by an amount way in excess of inflation. I think (wearing my SME hat, not my employee hat) I've had... one, maybe? price rise on Office 365 in several years. (I haven't used PowerBI long enough to make a comparison but I suspect it'll be the same.) To be fair Google is similarly reasonable on that front.

The problem of course is that PowerBI is in no way a substitute for TM1, as your quite excellent cod and parsley sauce analogy attests.

IBM christened it "PlanningAnalytics" (words intentionally run together) as if they were one and the same process. They aren't; they're more cousins than siblings, and current trends will make them more distant cousins.

TM1 has been as good as any other tool (and better than many) at analysis in the manner that Burnstripe referred to; taking large swathes of transactional data, summarising it, slicing and dicing it and helping it tell a story. However these days, as big data moves from being empty marketing speak to actuality with flexible and powerful cloud hardware, increasing network speeds, etc, etc, some more savvy businesses are starting to look beyond the transactional history and looking for patterns elsewhere as well... in places that can't necessarily be loaded into cubes, or not easily. Weather modelling for insurance based businesses or agricultural businesses, for example. 10 years ago the volumes of data would have exceeded the capacity of most businesses to handle it. Increasingly, they can just call it up from Google Big Query or Microsoft Azure, or wherever.

And it's this analytics side where TM1 is starting to lose ground a bit. The in memory performance of cubes is less relevant (not IRRELEVANT, it will never be that) when you can pull down vast swathes of data from the likes of Google Big Query. (And man, is that fast.)
MarenC wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:27 am The main drawback of Planning Analytics is the ability to send out alerts to users, based on some condition occurring within an organisation, such as disabled code has a balance posted against it or actuals exceed budget against a particular cost code etc.
That is a weakness I grant you (I know that SQL style triggers have been on some IBMers horizon for a while now, but I don't know when / if we'll see them), but I don't think it's the main weakness. To me, it's that TM1 really hasn't kept up with the times in terms of its range of data sources. All you get out of the box is the meat and 'taters platter of flat files and ODBC. I mean cheezez, you can't even use another server as a data source easily. Forget about JSON or XML or web page DOMs or... Granted, I am currently using an ODBC connection to Google Big Query to pull data from that, but Big Query offers SQL style data pulls which is not always the case with cloud based resources. There is still a LOT of data connection that you just can't do natively in TM1 without stepping outside and having a long conversation with Mr. Python and the API.

Compare this with the number of data connections you can make to pull data down into PowerBI. As I scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled, I swear my eyes were the size of saucers by the end.

I know that some people in IBM are aware of this and want to address it. My concern is whether they have enough stripes on their blue pin stripe uniforms to get past this obsession that IBM management seems to have with cloud packs and Linux and containerising everything rather than delivering what users actually need such as {sigh} hierarchy aware Excel functions.

So if you can do a wider range of analysis using data from a wider range of sources with a lot of the heavy lifting being done in the cloud rather than in memory... what do you need TM1 for?

That would be where the Planning bit comes in. Although your analytics may move away from traditional in memory cube data as new possibilities open up, there is nothing, no product that I can think of, that comes even close to TM1 in allowing a budget or forecast to be created collaboratively within a business using a single agreed set of business rules for calculating projected costs and revenues. I know that some rivals exist - Jedox, for instance - but there are reasons that they have not gained traction, one of which is that they just aren't as good at doing that as TM1 is. PowerBI is not now and never will be a replacement for that, because that's just not its thing.

As others have alluded to, though, TM1's thing will, I think, have to increasingly be as part of a broader data landscape. Planning Analytics will be increasingly a cog, not a machine.

In the immortal words of Montgomery Scott, "The right tool for the right job!"
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Alan Kirk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:22 am To me, it's that TM1 really hasn't kept up with the times in terms of its range of data sources. All you get out of the box is the meat and 'taters platter of flat files and ODBC. I mean cheezez, you can't even use another server as a data source easily. Forget about JSON or XML or web page DOMs or... Granted, I am currently using an ODBC connection to Google Big Query to pull data from that, but Big Query offers SQL style data pulls which is not always the case with cloud based resources. There is still a LOT of data connection that you just can't do natively in TM1 without stepping outside and having a long conversation with Mr. Python and the API.
Since you mentioned Jedox, in terms of connectivity and data sources, what we get is night and day compared to Jedox.
Jedox connectivity.PNG
Jedox connectivity.PNG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 18422 times
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

Thanks, everyone for the sharing thoughts! :D
Yeah, will be more interesting to see the impact from the next generation of TM1 engine in the cloud.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/