Server upgrade

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Server upgrade

Post by Martin Ryan »

Hi all, long time no chat. Merry Christmas and happy new year! In digging around for another site I'm hosting I've discovered this server as well as the phpBB software is all ridiculously out of date. I'm going to have a crack at doing a rebuild in the next little while - planning on this week but depends on what else is going on at home. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan, but if not I'll post updates at https://www.facebook.com/Tm1Forum.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Re: Server upgrade

Post by Martin Ryan »

All done with the server upgrade but as usual I'm having trouble with getting the subscription emails to work. It seems to be ok about sending you a response if you've logged in since your last advisory email, but otherwise it won't send you anything. I'll have another crack later. Otherwise let me know if you see any other issues.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:04 am All done with the server upgrade but as usual I'm having trouble with getting the subscription emails to work. It seems to be ok about sending you a response if you've logged in since your last advisory email, but otherwise it won't send you anything. I'll have another crack later. Otherwise let me know if you see any other issues.
Actually that's been SOP for quite a while now. More specifically, it will send you notification on a posting to a thread once... and then not send you another one until you have looked at that thread again, after which it will once more send you a notification ONCE, lather, rinse, repeat.

The largest part of the problem is that e-mail is not an integral part of the phpBB software, and I've noticed that the devs seem to take the attitude that (a) If they didn't write it, it can't be any good, (b) If they didn't write it, nobody needs it and (c) If they wrote it, it must be unquestionably perfect, such as the brain-dead "feature" of locking someone's account if they change their e-mail address, causing one of us to have to go in and manually unlock it. There have been endless complaints about that from phpBB admins far and wide, but the devs won't listen because the MaGiK-word "Sekuritee" trumps everything, even though none of them have ever been able to make a coherent argument for why that is a "Sekuritee" issue. But I digress.

I've played around with the e-mail as part of Wim's request to get the e-mails into a nice, legible HTML form on my own (non-operational) phpBB server, but I have to admit, I keep getting sidetracked by other things.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Well, good news is I found how to fix that. Bad news is that I broke the mail server in the meantime. Seems I don't have the anti spam/authentications settings setup correctly. Probably won't get to it for a few days now, so will have to be manual checkups in the meantime. Apologies.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:09 am Well, good news is I found how to fix that. Bad news is that I broke the mail server in the meantime. Seems I don't have the anti spam/authentications settings setup correctly. Probably won't get to it for a few days now, so will have to be manual checkups in the meantime. Apologies.
It's kicked up another issue as well, but I'll take that over to the Admins forum.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

It seems the Submit is now taking a lot longer than it previously did. I'm not sure where to even start looking for how to address that so I'm afraid it's going to be a grin and bear it. Take the 5-10 seconds to free associate, it's good for your brain :D
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Yet another issue has cropped up. The server is doing "unattended upgrades" that include a shutdown of the server. It seems to be doing it every 12 hours. It doesn't restart correctly after that. I'm manually recovering that by re-starting the container. I'll have to keep doing manual restarts for a bit while I can figure it out. Please bear with me.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've migrated the forum to a brand new virtual server to try to start with a clean slate. Generally that seems to have worked pretty well but (for me at least) it's re-broken the spam filter so it's ended up in the spam nets again. At least this time it's ending up in the recipients Spam folder, not just bouncing back to the host. So if you're not receiving emails then please check your spam.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:08 am I've migrated the forum to a brand new virtual server to try to start with a clean slate. Generally that seems to have worked pretty well but (for me at least) it's re-broken the spam filter so it's ended up in the spam nets again. At least this time it's ending up in the recipients Spam folder, not just bouncing back to the host. So if you're not receiving emails then please check your spam.
Also, if you're on GMail you can get around this by creating a filter (though it won't affect any messages that are already in your Spam folder).

Select the three dot menu on the right and select "Filter Messages Like These":
Filter01.jpg
Filter01.jpg (176.45 KiB) Viewed 76783 times
By default the filter will just be on the sender address, but you can get creative and apply different filters based on things like the subject line:
Filter02.jpg
Filter02.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 76783 times
If you use labels (which are rather useful, I find) you can do that, but the important box is "Never Send To Spam". I prefer to categorise it as Primary so that it doesn't get buried on other tabs, but that's up to you and depends on how many tabs you're using.

By default I apply new filters to matching conversations but, as the dialog notes, it won't pull any spam folder messages out of the spam bin. You need to do that one yourself.
Filter03.jpg
Filter03.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 76783 times
-----------