Belgium - Italy

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Belgium - Italy

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:57 am You should have a good shot against Ukraine. The match is probably yours to lose. Don't screw up and you should make it through.
While I was pretty comfortable with this prognostication, I certainly didn't see that outcome.

È un lavoro ben fatto, i tre lioni!

La Danimarca is likely to prove more of a challenge, and it's true that you lot traditionally didn't do well against the Vikings prior to the match at Stamford Bridge in 1066AD. Still, you're in with a shot and have thus far proven the Betoota Advocate, one of the world's great media outlets on a par with The Onion in its prime, wrong about this article.

All going well, we'll see you on the 12th.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Wim Gielis wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 pm Well played by Italy, highest chances of becoming champions. The last 20 minutes were a disgrace though. So much commedia dell’arte… and this team does not need that. We were close a couple of times but interesting game and tough opponents.
Wim,

I place it squarely at the feet of the ref. He only added 5 minutes of extra time, it should have been closer to 10. If he had have done that The Italian players would have only had themselves to blame.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:58 am
Wim Gielis wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 pm Well played by Italy, highest chances of becoming champions. The last 20 minutes were a disgrace though. So much commedia dell’arte… and this team does not need that. We were close a couple of times but interesting game and tough opponents.
Wim,

I place it squarely at the feet of the ref. He only added 5 minutes of extra time, it should have been closer to 10. If he had have done that The Italian players would have only had themselves to blame.
.... if, and only if, we had lost in any extra time. The official record, incidentally, shows the time played as 99'24", so rather closer to 10 minutes than 5 extra in any case.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Alan Kirk wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:15 am and only if, we had lost in any extra time. The official record, incidentally, shows the time played as 99'24", so rather closer to 10 minutes than 5 extra in any case.
Well, in the first half the Italians didn’t steal much time, but you shouldn’t add extra time of the first half.

Much like the game of Belgium against France in Russia 2018, during the last 20 minutes at most 5 minutes you see the ball in play.

Oh, wait, they had other disgusting tactics. Anyone noticed the miserable action by Immobile ?
Making a schwalbe, pretending he’s injured, at the same time a team mate scores 1-0, and guess what ?
Immobile stands up goes to the celebration with his team. What a joke is that guy.
Last edited by Wim Gielis on Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Wim Gielis wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 pm Oh, wait, they had other disgusting tactics. Anyone noticed the miserable action by Immobile ?
Making a schwalbe, pretending he’s injured, at the same time a team mate scores 1-0, and guess what ?
Immobile stands up goes to the celebration with his team. What a joke is that guy.
I certainly won't be defending that from any player on any team. Unfortunately it's endemic. The most incisive tweet I saw on that incident read:
"THAT'S NOT SOCCER!"... oh wait, it actually is...
I'd be happy to see all players from all teams knock that kind of cr@p off. All it does is bring the game into disrepute and make it a laughing stock in a way that at its best, it doesn't deserve to be.
-----------
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

You should watch the COPA America, they take this play acting to the next level. It is virtually unwatchable, except for the odd moment of genius.

One way I would deal with time wasting and players feigning injury (which is endemic), bring in a rule that says if a player requires a trainer to come onto the pitch then that player must serve a 5 minute recuperation time. I.e. they can't be allowed back on the pitch until 5 minutes after they went off 'injured'.

They could also stretcher them off immediately and let them get treated off the pitch as they used to.

Still an England - Italy final would be one to savour!
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

The late Johan Cruyff proposed to have 2 x 30 minutes effective play.
Time is stopped whenever the ball is out or there's an injury whatsoever.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Thought I would share this after seeing no. 17's horrific take down and miraculous recovery...
Soccer_Vax.jpg
Soccer_Vax.jpg (72.33 KiB) Viewed 102889 times
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Do not remember the team, but recall a few years ago a player had his ear touched whereupon he immediately fell to the ground acting as if his leg was being removed with a dull butter knife.

Good friend of mine here is English and we, good naturedly, razz back and forth about soccer and American football differences. Even he had no comeback for that incident.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Mark RMBC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:16 am You should watch the COPA America, they take this play acting to the next level. It is virtually unwatchable, except for the odd moment of genius.

One way I would deal with time wasting and players feigning injury (which is endemic), bring in a rule that says if a player requires a trainer to come onto the pitch then that player must serve a 5 minute recuperation time. I.e. they can't be allowed back on the pitch until 5 minutes after they went off 'injured'.

They could also stretcher them off immediately and let them get treated off the pitch as they used to.

Still an England - Italy final would be one to savour!
That's why nobody outside of South America does watch it. I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes. It's also why the premier league tends to be more successful as an export. It's not perceived as being as bad, and to be fair I don't think it is. Don't get me wrong, they go down for fouls but feigning injury isn't as common. BTW it's also the reason Spanish football hasn't taken off as much, that and there's only really 2 games a year worth watching.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

I prefer that matches not go to penalty shoot-outs, but a win is a win. That's 33 matches since our last loss.

VIVA MANCINI!!!
-----------
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor

Post by Mark RMBC »

Spain are like a very very very attractive but impotent man.

I think if England do reach the final I would prefer Italy, I think we can beat Italy but if we had played Spain we would probably have won but looked very much second best!
"Good friend of mine here is English and we, good naturedly, razz back and forth about soccer and American football differences. Even he had no comeback for that incident."
Or as I like to say razz back and forth about football and Armoured Throwball.

I think my comeback would have been, why does the only guy who actually kicks a ball need full body armour? I have never seen that in football.
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Mark RMBC wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:21 pm ...Armoured Throwball.
I like this! :D
I think my comeback would have been, why does the only guy who actually kicks a ball need full body armour? I have never seen that in football.
Occasionally he can get clocked. Or she now, as Vanderbilt University last year used a female kicker. :lol:
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

I'm still not crazy about results which are based on penalties.

But I'll happily take it.

Commiserations, Inghilterra. (Except for the sort of "fans" described in this article. They can choke on it.)

Now, about the World Cup...
-----------
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor

Post by Mark RMBC »

Well done Italy, just about deserved it. Though Jorginho should have been sent off!

Roll the World Cup, if you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I agree about Jorginho. Everybody is complaining about Chiellini pulling back Saka, but he had no choice, he couldn't just let him go. But in all honesty, I think Italy deserved it purely because England didn't play well enough to deserve it. Italy weren't great either btw, in fact I thought it was a pretty crap final.

With the dawning of a new day and a nights sleep under the belt we (England fans) need to take a step back and remember that we've not been to final since 1966 and we've never been to Euro final before. So I'm happy. The boys did well.
Shop at Amazon