Public Dataset suitable for TM1

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
michalb
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Public Dataset suitable for TM1

Post by michalb »

Hello,

I need to create a model in TM1 to pass a course at university. I have an access to the tool, but what I need to do is to think of an imaginary client, its needs and dataset that would be provided by this client.

I'm planning to create a simple planning model, where there will be few planners with different security access depending on products/clients. They will be planning sales values. There will be also report cube that will show results in different currencies.

What I need to find is a datasets suitable for that - excel files that will allow me to create product hierarchy, customer hierarchy and provide me with actual data (values per customer and product). Nothing too complicated.

Do you know where I can find such datasets? I was told the source must be relatable and somehow 'official', but it generally means I cannot create these files by myself.

regards,
Michal
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Re: Public Dataset suitable for TM1

Post by PavoGa »

CDC has a lot of downloadable datasets on health & death statistics.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

It may be an idea to take a look at Microsoft's Adventureworks databases for SQL server. They have a shedload of fictional but (mostly) realistically structured values which could serve as a basis for a TM1 model.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

I haven't ever heard of TM1 being included in any university courses. May I ask which university and course?
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
michalb
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by michalb »

It is not actually included in my university course. I'm doing postgraduate studies called 'Business Intelligence' and in order to get a diploma I need to create a model in any BI Tool, and since I have access to TM1 at my workplace I chose it over tools offered by the university (e.g. tableau) ;)
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

michalb wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:01 pm It is not actually included in my university course. I'm doing postgraduate studies called 'Business Intelligence' and in order to get a diploma I need to create a model in any BI Tool, and since I have access to TM1 at my workplace I chose it over tools offered by the university (e.g. tableau) ;)
The old chestnut Microsoft's Northwind sample database for SQLServer is simple to obtain and set up and makes an excellent source for creating a model in TM1.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

lotsaram wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:54 am
michalb wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:01 pm It is not actually included in my university course. I'm doing postgraduate studies called 'Business Intelligence' and in order to get a diploma I need to create a model in any BI Tool, and since I have access to TM1 at my workplace I chose it over tools offered by the university (e.g. tableau) ;)
The old chestnut Microsoft's Northwind sample database for SQLServer is simple to obtain and set up and makes an excellent source for creating a model in TM1.
Northwind is long since... not exactly defunct, since it's still out there, but it's certainly ancient and has barely changed for many years and has not been recommended for SQL Server since... at least before 2008, possibly before 2005. It was originally written for SQL Server's, shall we say, "educationally challenged" little backwoods dwelling cousin Access. Though I confess that I do miss those ultra low res images of Microsoft staffers from the late 20th century in the HR module.

That's why I recommended its successor Adventureworks. Adventureworks' reason for existence is that Northwind didn't really have big enough data sets to show off OLAP in SSAS, and wasn't all that scaleable. Adventureworks does, and is. It's more complex than Northwind (but can still be set up in SQL Server in only a few minutes) but offers more opportunities for cranking up the OLAP in an environment like TM1.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

Thanks Alan. Very useful and timely info. Simple MIT license too so effectively no restrictions on use.