kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Planning Analytics Performance Modeler license as ReadOnlyUser

Post by kenship »

Hi,

Can I assign user licensed under Performance Management to become ReadOnlyUser in }ClientProperties?

I currently have a few Local Explorer licenses to match ReadOnlyUser but wonder whether I can allow more.

Thanks!

Kenneth
macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Planning Analytics Performance Modeler license as ReadOnlyUser

Post by macsir »

If it is a Modeler license, it should a TM1 admin. Admin can't be readonly, I think.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
scrumthing
Version: 11.x
Excel Version: MS365

Post by scrumthing »

Technically it works to set an admin user as ReadOnly. Afterwards you cannot change that property back if you do it for your own user.
But I would not trust that feature. It is originally intended for checking license usage and nothing more. The rest is unintended side effects AFAIK.
There is no OLAP database besides TM1!
kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Post by kenship »

Thanks for the reply.

I realized I used the wrong word "Modeler", the users are actually licensed as "Performance Management" user which means they are not admin. but regular user who can read and write data into TM1.

Again I was wondering whether identifying a few of these users licensed under "Performance Management" as "ReadOnlyUser" will create a licensing issue for me.

Kenneth
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

A standard performance management user is your bog standard read/write contributor/planner.
As far as IBM are concerned if you pay for someone to have write privileges but only grant them read access - that is fine as it’s lower access. You could buy an explore/read only licence that’s cheaper so IBM won’t mind you paying more to get the same thing.

Just don’t give people more access that you are licenced for.
Declan Rodger
macsir
MVP

Post by macsir »

declanr wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:33 pm A standard performance management user is your bog standard read/write contributor/planner.
As far as IBM are concerned if you pay for someone to have write privileges but only grant them read access - that is fine as it’s lower access. You could buy an explore/read only licence that’s cheaper so IBM won’t mind you paying more to get the same thing.

Just don’t give people more access that you are licenced for.
Sorry, I think I have different opinion on this. That was my first impression as well originally but after auditing, IBM says if you have ReadWrite user license, you need to let that user be able to write something back to TM1. You can't simply group your ReadOnly users under ReadWrite license umbrella.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

macsir wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 pm Sorry, I think I have different opinion on this. That was my first impression as well originally but after auditing, IBM says if you have ReadWrite user license, you need to let that user be able to write something back to TM1. You can't simply group your ReadOnly users under ReadWrite license umbrella.
And here is where we see that everyone ends up with a different view on licencing, so the standard answer sadly has to be - ask your Partner/IBM Rep directly and get them to provide an answer in writing so that you are protected in the future.

It wouldn't surprise me that an auditor would say something like that, I have experience of auditors asking for a user list without understanding there were multiple services or what that meant. The person you deal with often has no understanding of the software and just follows a checklist, if something isn't on their checklist in black and white, they are just as likely to misinterpret as anyone else.

If that is IBM's viewpoint it would be very surprising because if it did go to litigation of some kind, any adjudicator in their right mind would throw it out immediately.

That being said... if you do want read-only users I would recommend looking at changing the licence type at renewal time to save some money.
Declan Rodger
macsir
MVP

Post by macsir »

Yes, agreed. Thanks.