Free and Open Source Tools: Public Permissions?

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
bgregs
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Free and Open Source Tools: Public Permissions?

Post by bgregs »

Hey Mods,

The new Free and Open Source Tools section is awesome - thank you for putting that together! I agree, it definitely helps keep things organized and helps to redirect traffic to the right places.

The only thing I've noticed is that this new section does not appear to be publicly accessible. Most of the time I check the forum without logging in, and I've found that the FOSS section is completely inaccessible. Is this by design, or is it possible to open it up to visitors that don't have an account? I redirect traffic to forum postings from time to time, and having it locked behind an account may make it a bit more difficult for an average visitor (or forum lurker) to see some of the different tools available.

Aside from that, love the new page! Thanks again for setting it up!
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Free and Open Source Tools: Public Permissions?

Post by Alan Kirk »

bgregs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:10 pm The only thing I've noticed is that this new section does not appear to be publicly accessible. Most of the time I check the forum without logging in, and I've found that the FOSS section is completely inaccessible. Is this by design, or is it possible to open it up to visitors that don't have an account?
It wasn't quite by design. I originally set it so that only CCs and above could post there, but all Registered Users could access it. This was because of the problem with the Enhancements forum where for some people it's waaaayyy too hard to read the pinned post that says "Read Me Before Posting", and they go ahead and post "How Do I" questions there. But then I realised that it would have stopped you from posting there as well, so I loosened that to allow registered users other than complete newbies to post there. (Complete newbies can post questions, etc, but they need to have their posts approved until they establish their credentials.)

I really didn't think about visitors at all.

I've now set the permissions so that guests can browse the forum, download files etc, but obviously can't post, vote on polls or anything that registered users can do.
bgregs wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:10 pm I redirect traffic to forum postings from time to time, and having it locked behind an account may make it a bit more difficult for an average visitor (or forum lurker) to see some of the different tools available.
Interesting... I'm wondering if that was behind the odd spike in sign-ups that we had last week.

In any case, let me know if there are still any problems.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
bgregs
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Free and Open Source Tools: Public Permissions?

Post by bgregs »

Thank you Alan! I can confirm that I can now browse the FOSS section without logging in - which, as sad as it sounds, is something I do more often than not even though I have a perfectly fine password manager that I neglect daily. :oops:

Anyway, thank you for helping out with this - much appreciated! :D