Hey US, hey UK, do you even(ever?) hire overseas?

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
luqasshh
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Hey US, hey UK, do you even(ever?) hire overseas?

Post by luqasshh »

Hello!

I have a question to all of you great people living in US or UK and your experience in hiring TM1 people oversees, who, at the time of recrutaion, don't have a work permit.

Does this even happen? If so, how complicated the procedure was and how exceptional the candidate had to be, to potentially beat other local candidates? Does it matter if one prefers working remotely vs moving?

For the US I'm wondering, as there always seemed to be far, far more TM1 positions available than even in European Union as a whole. But all those offers require work permit.

For the UK we obviously have a new situation with Brexit which forces EU citizens to aquire a working visa.

Or maybe you have been hired like that and would like to share some tips and your experience?

Any input will be highly appreciated and I wish you all a wonderful rest of the weekend!

P.S. I'm not asking about Australia. I'm afraid of big spiders.
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Hey US, hey UK, do you even(ever?) hire overseas?

Post by jim wood »

I took a job in the US (10 years ago) and had to got through the process. Unless you are transferring within a company you have to go through the H1B process. Over the last few years this has become harder as there is such demand for them from IT workers in India. There are only 64k issued per year and they usual all go in the first few days. So we only really now look at hiring mom US nationals if they either have work authorization in place (normally a H1B transfer) or have a green card.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Divined
OLAP Product: Latest
Version: Latest
Excel Version: 2007

Re: Hey US, hey UK, do you even(ever?) hire overseas?

Post by Divined »

One of the companies I used to work generally hires overseas, when the talent is exceptional. Since they are based in EU (I know you mentioned UK or US), immigration makes it much easier to hire someone. It doesn't happen often but it does.
I run https://www.arbeitnow.com during the night