Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

PALO Open

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi,

Any forummers attending the PALO Open in Frankfurt next week?
I'll be there.

Michel
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Re: PALO Open

Post by John Hobson »

See you there Michel
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Just back from the Palo Open. Most interesting parts for me were the roadmap presentation and the presentation by Nigel Pendse.

Regarding the roadmap the most remarkable things for me were:
Renaming the Worksheet Server 3 and the ETL Server modules to Performance Server and Integration Server. The PALO BI Suite is now called PALO Suite.
The Worksheet Server 3 / Performance Server module is still not ready ('performance and stability need to be improved')
The old Worksheet Server 2 will stay part of the stack as Excel Web.
Tensegrity will now (re)develop the Palooca Open Office add-in - what they showed looks very promising. First version should be available in October, full version in December.
The old MIS Alea development team will take over the development of the PALO 3 server.
Jedox is further developing PALO Server 4 using technology based on GPU add-on cards (Tesla).

The NIgel Pendse presentation was fun as usual, with references to the 'accidental BI Vendor' (Infor, who bought companies that also were in BI) and the 'BI graveyard' (regarding IBM, as they did not succeed with their BI initiatives sofar).
I had John Hobson sitting next to me, twittering like a madman. You can find his tweets at http://twitter.com/palo_olap.

Michel
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Interesting. I've heard a dirty rumour that Palo may not remain free. From what I understand of open source licences they can't revoke what has already been made free, but further development might start having a bill attached. I was intending on pitching Palo quite a bit back home next year as the price point is perfect for the short pockets there, but if the goal is to start charging - or if Jedox are bought out and forced to start charging - that'll completely change my view and I would guess a lot of other's.

Anyone else heard similar rumours? Or denials of the rumour?

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi Martin,

Like most Open Source software PALO comes in a Community and in a Enterprise edition. The source code of Community edition is regularly updated on SourceForge (plan is to update this daily) and can be downloaded for free.
Jedox will charge for the Enterprise edition, which has the same functionality as the Community addition, but is running multi-threaded. What they charge for is (again, like for most OS software) mainly support.

Michel
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

Nigel Pendse Sharply Criticises Traditional BI Providers at the 2009 Palo Open

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nigel-Pen ... l?x=0&.v=1
According to Pendse, nothing positive can currently be expected from the large providers in terms of BI, since they are overly concerned with integrating their many new acquisitions. Pendse advised corporate BI users to choose the best products on the market, which generally are offered by smaller providers such as Jedox.
:D :D :D
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

<strokes chin>iiiinteresting....free you say, hmm?! :)

No experience of Palo as yet, but the more i hear about it the more i'm tempted to start dabbling, if only i could get this damn workload out of the way.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet