Office 2010 EOL, in case anyone missed the memo...

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Office 2010 EOL, in case anyone missed the memo...

Post by Alan Kirk »

Support for 2010 is gone, dead, not pining for the fjords, etc. That also includes security updates:
Gli sciocchi di Seattle wrote:Support for Office 2010 ended on October 13, 2020 and there will be no extension and no extended security updates. All of your Office 2010 apps will continue to function. However, you could expose yourself to serious and potentially harmful security risks.
I suspect that there are still a lot of people out there who are using 2010, given that it was stable, robust, and predates the idiotic decision to prevent users from using a multi document interface (MDI) meaning that eeeevvvery single workbook hauls around a full Excel interface with it. (A user voice request to change that and allow us to choose whether to use MDI or Single Document Interface (SDI) is here if anyone wants to bother voting for it, though the oh so customer-responsive Microsloth Office dev team has already shrugged its shoulders and said "Nuh. Don't wanna see the problem.")

2007 and 2013 were like odd numbered Star Trek movies; probably best avoided. OK, that was somewhat understated. If I could have spread 2007 over a wheat field in the winter, I would have set a world record for both the size and smell of the following harvest. 2013 was less toxic if you leave aside its ALL CAPS SHOUTY MENUS, though I didn't get much time on that before it was superseded. 2016 was OK aside from the pain in the butt that is SDI. Ditto with 2019. The scary part about O365 is that it because it's constantly evolving it can drop a stink bomb on you without warning, as happened in the 2016 era when Perspectives stopped working for about 2 weeks because of an "improvement".

I can therefore understand why some would want 2010 only pried out of their cold, dead hands... but the risk of that just escalated.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Re: Office 2010 EOL, in case anyone missed the memo...

Post by MarenC »

I still prefer 2003!