MSidat
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

PAW Installation unresponsive

Post by MSidat »

Hi

We installed PAW (2.0.45.912.3) a few months ago on separate WIN2016 server (Just for PAW, but also has ILMT/BIgFix installed on it and has SOPHOS as dictated by our Network people). It was working fine after installation and tbh honest we haven't used it since, but been looking into rolling our PAX so require it to be running.

It appears to be completely unresponsive:
1. The web page doesn't come up in the first instance
2. Docker appears to be fine (i.e. I can run the ps -a command etc, so presume it is ok)
3. Containers are showing as running and shows as being up for 6 months (except bss init - which is expected I think)
4. Running the PAW.ps1 script seems to just hang after initially just writing out "mongo" on the powershell screen
5. Running the Start.ps1 script and trying to open just the admin tool, again just hangs on the Please Wait... screen
6. Tried running the Start.ps1 script and opting for Install/Update Docker Images. This does a disk space check and says loading image, and after a short time prompts for the Admin Tool, but again just hangs After doing this I did run the ps -a command on docker again and it shows the containers as being up for 6 months, so it appears that it didnt actually do anything.

I have disabled SOPHOS to see if it was antivirus related, but we had SOPHOS related at the time it was working so doubt it could be that.

Would appreciate any tips to what I could try to get this back up and running.
Always Open to Opportunities
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: PAW Installation unresponsive

Post by declanr »

You mentioned checking the paw script but did you run it with any commands? Does running ./scripts/paw.ps1 -stop work or does that hang as well?

If it works I would suggest doing a -stop and then a -start to just do a restart.
Declan Rodger
MSidat
Community Contributor

Post by MSidat »

HI Declan,
declanr wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:46 am You mentioned checking the paw script but did you run it with any commands? Does running ./scripts/paw.ps1 -stop work or does that hang as well?

If it works I would suggest doing a -stop and then a -start to just do a restart.
I ran it on its own and it just printed "Mongo" on the next line and then seemed to hang. couldnt see any cpu activity to show it was doing anything and the powershell window was unresponsive.

I just tried .\paw.ps1 -stop but that comes up with the following:
"Execution failed with exit code 1:
Usage:
docker-compose [-f <arg>...] [options] [COMMAND] [ARGS...]
docker-compose -h|--help
Options:"
WIthout the hyphen in front of the stop it again just prints mongo on teh next line and then appears to hang.

I have also tried stopping and restarting Docker from Services and also the great fail safe that is restarting the server (which is a VM).

Also when I run docker stats. it just shows a list of 0b and 0 cpu activity.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (31.11 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
MSidat
Community Contributor

Post by MSidat »

Just in case anyone comes across this.

Even though docker showed the containers as running, pretty confident they were not as we could not even get the PIDS for them and there was no sign of any relevant memory being used in the host system.

None of the stop, remove commands were working against the containers.

Ended up stopping the docker service and then clearing out the docker folder within programdata and then reloading the images and containers from the installation folder (Start Script and then PAW script) . It all came up fine and is now working again. Thankfully we were not really using PAW previously so we were not concerned with any lost PAW data. If we were live, we would have a regular backup of the containers (hopefully) using the script and would have used that to reload the containers.